Thread: SST vs. XRS

SST vs. XRS

I’m looking for opinions of guys who have spent time in both the SST and Xrs. Pros and cons of both. Im not interested in how the boats perform empty or light load but how they perform carrying a full tournament load wells full and full of fuel. I really like the 21 SST but with it being such an aggressive Hull I just don’t know how well it would perform as a day in and day out tournament boat. Thanks

2. Member
    Josh, I've Got A 20'XRD,225X Mercury,Fully Equipped W/ (2) 12' Talons And I've Seen Low 80. Steve

3. Member
    Not the same but I think the sst and the ss have same hull I have a ss with 250 mercury tournament loaded full fuel and livewells full me and a partner mine runs 87 I think it has a little more in it but I am no set up professional and can't afford different props I think I have one of the slowest ones lol I love the layout plenty of storage only thing I would change is the center compartment lid I'd like one deep longer lid easier to get nets and such in the tackle storage box is so low in it makes it hard to work around

4. Member
    I just did a lot of research on the SST and SS boats. I went with the SST. I think the XRS is in between the 21 XD and the SS/SST boats. Which have the same pad style. From what I can tell with mine 300 Merc and 14 inch plate with very little set up work runs great and I believe with proper props will carry a load just fine. Hole shots with a 300 can be a little challenging due to the exhaust being a little different than a 250.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. Member
    Thanks, I’m not so much worried about the speed but more how the SST fishes and rides under a full load. I have spent a little time in the xrs and it feels very solid with two guys on the front deck and seems to handle ruffer water pretty good. I’m sure the speed of either is fine for me.

6. Member
    I fished from an xrs for 2 years and have owned about every other model of Bullet except the sst. The xrs fishes and rides better than all of them. The sst is just a little smaller than the xrs and there is no way it fishes or rides better. Don’t get me wrong if I was ordering a new one today I would probably go with the sst but I like the speed. If I wasn’t concerned about speed then it would be no question I would go with the xrs.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    IMO the SST does handle rough water just as good or better than the XRS. REminds me of the xb21 Allison
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurnal View Post
    Not the same but I think the sst and the ss have same hull I have a ss with 250 mercury tournament loaded full fuel and livewells full me and a partner mine runs 87 I think it has a little more in it but I am no set up professional and can't afford different props I think I have one of the slowest ones lol I love the layout plenty of storage only thing I would change is the center compartment lid I'd like one deep longer lid easier to get nets and such in the tackle storage box is so low in it makes it hard to work around

I think you have one of the fastest ones. What prop and lower unit and what rpm fully loaded 2 people full live wells just curious? O also water temp.

i have a SS with SHO best I can get fully loaded is around 83 in 50 degree water

9. Member
    XRS is your boat man

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    I think you have one of the fastest ones. What prop and lower unit and what rpm fully loaded 2 people full live wells just curious? O also water temp.

i have a SS with SHO best I can get fully loaded is around 83 in 50 degree water
    its hard to compare a sho to a merc on a hull you can run over pad. The sho is at a huge disadvantage, you can only get to about level to pad at best. 1/2” above if you modify your stock pickups.

The 250xs can run 1 3/4” above pad and still have good water pressure.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    XRS is your boat man
    Your probably right ,but I like the SST being shorter. I test drove one the other day that was completely empty with 10 gallons of gas and the xrs is like driving a ranger compared to that thing. It seemed really aggressive but manageable. Just curious if it calmed down any when it was loaded heavy and how it fishes with two guys on the front deck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Herren View Post
    Your probably right ,but I like the SST being shorter. I test drove one the other day that was completely empty with 10 gallons of gas and the xrs is like driving a ranger compared to that thing. It seemed really aggressive but manageable. Just curious if it calmed down any when it was loaded heavy and how it fishes with two guys on the front deck.
    I can fit my xrs in 24' deep garage with motor down. It looks big but is just right. The ride is crazy smooth too....even on rough water. XRS what you want man. I believe I saw a video of a xrs beating an ss in speed. Somewhere on youtube.

13. Member

It was a 20xd.

14. Member
    It must have been dragging an anchor ha ha
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR