Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex versus Ulterra

How many of you guys have considered the differences in these trolling motors (auto deploy / stow / trim) and which would you choose?

It's hard to believe but apparently, MK does not offer the 36V 112 Ulterra in the 45" shaft with link, only non link.
    They do offer the link on the other shaft lengths in the trolling motor.
    They do offer the link on the 24V 80 Ulterra 45".

I just can't understand why the link is not offered in that one shaft length.

The 36V 112 Ultrex in the 45" shaft is available with link.

So, if you were buying, which would you go with?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

2. Member
    I made a quick trip to the cabin to measure the shaft on my Ulterra having told a fellow that it was 45" and him telling me it must not be since I told him I had the Link model. He could not find what you are looking for either. (LOL) So, I discovered I don't have Link but I do have the 45" shaft. I don't understand why either Joe. Its a software thing as far as I can tell. But, your question was Ultrex or Ulterra. I went Ulterra because of the stow and deploy feature. I have to say I love it so far. Launching a boat is very easy and I can hit the button to stow or deploy from the driver seat which I find handy as a shirt pocket.

3. Member
    Johnny, I really thought I wanted to go with the Ulterra, was all ready to order - then we found out can't get the 45" shaft with link - crazy. So, now I'm torn! I don't have birds yet but they are in the plan for the future.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I bought an Ultrex last year and it is the best thing I've ever done for my fishing. And I don't own Humminbird. I'm a Lowrance guy.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I bought an Ultrex last year and it is the best thing I've ever done for my fishing. And I don't own Humminbird. I'm a Lowrance guy.
    Did you consider the Ulterra? I'm ust curious why you chose the Ultrex if you did.

6. Member
    When i bought my boat I bought an Ulterra and had it shipped to Lee to install before I picked up the boat...

I used it for 5 minutes and hated it.. you always had to look at it to know where it was pointing and I just absolutely hated the foot pedal...

The Ultrex was announced and had the best of both worlds. Love it.

If you like a cable steer pedal.. you cannot go wrong.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

7. Member
    I had a saltwater riptide on a bay boat (not ulterra) and I had the remote and the foot pedal. I used the remote the most by far.

My reason for considering the auto deploy isn't so much launching as it is the run and gun fishing we do on the river. We fish so many creeks mouths, ditches and certain tree tops that we may run to and shut down on 25+ spots a day, that's a lot of lifting and stowing on a manual lift troller.

But I will say I'm comfortable with a cable steer pedal.

Never had an Ulterra-- although I have used the Terrova's since they first came out because of auto pilot and spot lock .. But never did like the foot pedal and the slow electric steering as compared to a cable steer. Have always been a H-bird user so even with the Terrova I was able to use the track back and contour lock. Now that I have the Ultrex It's the best of both worlds..
    There's a reason that all but 17 of the BASS Elite's are running the Ultrex this upcoming season. Before now you couldn't give them an electric steer.
    For what it's worth I used a 60" Terrova- that extra shaft is nice on some of the lakes I fish. Not sure if I had my heart set on the Ulterra I would let the 52 " shaft be a deal breaker. Not positive on the Ulterra but it's not hard to shorten a Terrova shaft.
    With all that said my votes for the Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I had a saltwater riptide on a bay boat (not ulterra) and I had the remote and the foot pedal. I used the remote the most by far.

My reason for considering the auto deploy isn't so much launching as it is the run and gun fishing we do on the river. We fish so many creeks mouths, ditches and certain tree tops that we may run to and shut down on 25+ spots a day, that's a lot of lifting and stowing on a manual lift troller.

But I will say I'm comfortable with a cable steer pedal.
    I was prefishing last week and easily hit 25 spots a day-- the lift assist makes it much easier even with the larger 36 volt.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I was prefishing last week and easily hit 25 spots a day-- the lift assist makes it much easier even with the larger 36 volt.
    Do you have the 45" Ultrex? Link or non-link?

Ultrex 52" with link- b-tooth

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Ultrex 52" with link- b-tooth
    Thanks Mike, so did you go with the 52" because of the big water you fish?

Yes sir a 45' will come out in big waves on my boat----- the 60" never did and i was not sure about the 52" until this last week-- I fished some waves that were coming over the bow and it never came out.. And that spot lock is a game changer in those conditions.

the steering on the ulterra is way faster than the terrova. I have the terrova and met someone on the water one day and compared. The ulterra is much quieter as well. I fish without a foot pedal and have for 15 years. I guess you learn the feel. I don't have to look at the trolling motor head at all.

I do fish with the remote without display. It is light and you can learn the fell of the buttons really easy.

If you don't plan to use the US2 transducer you will want to go with the Ultrex. Running a transducer cable down the ulterra isn't pretty. The Terrova doesn't have the lift belt so you can use the notch in the shaft.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

15. Member
    Thx. I did not even think about the US2 not being DI/SI.

So i guess to use a SI unit at the bow, you either add the SI transducer on the trolling motor or connect one from transom & deal with the imaging being at the rear of boat?

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    the steering on the ulterra is way faster than the terrova. I have the terrova and met someone on the water one day and compared. The ulterra is much quieter as well. I fish without a foot pedal and have for 15 years. I guess you learn the feel. I don't have to look at the trolling motor head at all.

I do fish with the remote without display. It is light and you can learn the fell of the buttons really easy.

If you don't plan to use the US2 transducer you will want to go with the Ultrex. Running a transducer cable down the ulterra isn't pretty. The Terrova doesn't have the lift belt so you can use the notch in the shaft.

16. Member
    Joe I am putting a LSS2 for SI/DI on my Ulterra. I’m ordering a system that makes it pretty easy and neat from Precision Sonar Cable Saver and from Shield Saver. I used the Shield Saver before and it was great. You can see it on YouTube. I would like to have tried the Ultrex unit before buying but didn’t know anybody with one close by. Powell drug his feet putting his in his boat. LOL. Since I don’t run Birds it doesn’t bother me not having Link capability. I’m a hard head though and wouldn’t use the Link feature anyway. I’m so gadget cornered right now I don’t want to learn anything new on my boat for a while.

Another thing is safety. The ulterra is driven by remote. Like power poles they deploy with one button press. I would wire in a switch and an isolation relay to kill power while driving. I have done this with my poles. You don’t want this stuff accidentally deploying while driving at 90. If you wear the remote on your waist you sit on it a lot while driving if it’s on your neck it ends up under your life jacket a lot.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

18. Member
    That is a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Another thing is safety. The ulterra is driven by remote. Like power poles they deploy with one button press. I would wire in a switch and an isolation relay to kill power while driving. I have done this with my poles. You don’t want this stuff accidentally deploying while driving at 90. If you wear the remote on your waist you sit on it a lot while driving if it’s on your neck it ends up under your life jacket a lot.

19. Member
    I will I’ll look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Joe I am putting a LSS2 for SI/DI on my Ulterra. I’m ordering a system that makes it pretty easy and neat from Precision Sonar Cable Saver and from Shield Saver. I used the Shield Saver before and it was great. You can see it on YouTube. I would like to have tried the Ultrex unit before buying but didn’t know anybody with one close by. Powell drug his feet putting his in his boat. LOL. Since I don’t run Birds it doesn’t bother me not having Link capability. I’m a hard head though and wouldn’t use the Link feature anyway. I’m so gadget cornered right now I don’t want to learn anything new on my boat for a while.

20. Member
    I have only looked at these trolling motors and my impression is the Ulterra mount may not be as durable as the Ultrex. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast