Thread: rod balnk ??

? for rod builders,rod blank ??

I see blanks that state spin and some state cast then some that don't say ether. what is the difference and can you use a rod blank that has the rating you need but say spin to build your casting rod?
    Last edited by Frank A; 03-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

2. Member
    You can build on any blank any way you want, the blank doesn't know what your using it for. If the blank fits your needs go for it.

3. Member
    I have a shakey head bait casting rod build out of a spinning rod blank & it works great.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    You can build on any blank any way you want, the blank doesn't know what your using it for. If the blank fits your needs go for it.
    Yep. I've built a number of "casting" blanks as spinning rods.

Nope. Pick the blank you want and have it built to do the job. Rod blank wasn't made knowing if it should be spinning or casting.

A lot of time "spinning" blanks are a smaller diameter and have thicker walls. Casting blanks are often larger diameter. Then you get a Spin Jig - which is a "spinning blank" built like a casting blank. LOL

thanks o all for responding

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

7. Member
    I build a casting rod for bandit crank baits that was listed as a spinning blank. That is the great think about custom built rods

I needed a really stiff spinning rod for pitching light lures from my Yak. I made one from a frog blank.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    I build a casting rod for bandit crank baits that was listed as a spinning blank. That is the great think about custom built rods

Would you give some details on this rod blank, supplier and model. I can't seen to throw bandits anymore. I've been using 6A bombers (3/8 oz) and have quite a few Bandits I would like to use. Thanks...BF

10. Member
    Bigflat,. The blank is a MHX CB841. I use it for bandits, balsa baits, square bill and light jerk baits. I have this rod on my deck all the time

11. Member
    Thanks, clearwater...BF

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Are you deadset on a 2-piece? That's a bit tough to find for a flippin' blank (we have lots of one piece).
    The closest we’d have for a 2-piece would be the SW967F, it’s a back bouncing black which is a very similar action to a flippin rod. It would lean more towards 3/4oz rather than the 1/4.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    Are you deadset on a 2-piece? That's a bit tough to find for a flippin' blank (we have lots of one piece).
    The closest we’d have for a 2-piece would be the SW967F, it’s a back bouncing black which is a very similar action to a flippin rod. It would lean more towards 3/4oz rather than the 1/4.

I'm assuming this should have been in my flippin rod thread.