V20 GAS TANK - LOSS OF FUEL PRIME

Has anyone had issues with their tank venting or not venting properly causing the motor to loose fuel prime after a long idle? 2017 PRO XS on 2017 V20, after a long idle and sometimes not so long, when I give it gas to take off my motor will just stall from lack of fuel My boat has roughly 17 hours on it and has been to the shop twice now for the same issue. I jus got a call back and was told it was the gas cap or tank.
    Last edited by Josh3105; 03-08-2018 at 11:49 AM.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” – Hunter S Thompson

2017 V20
    2017 PRO XS

2. Member
    I had the same issue you described. My boat was taken to three different dealers to find the problem. They could NOT find the problem so this is what I did. I disconnected the fuel line at the gas tank and at the primer bulb. I then ran a new line from the gas tank to the primer bulb. I let the new line run across the back deck since this was just a trouble shooting test. I took the boat out and ran it. The engine ran flawless, wide open throttle for long runs, idling around and slow speed runs.

I then tried to pull out the original fuel line within the boat and could not. Why you ask?....because when they sprayed foam into the hull, it pushed the fuel line up against the edge of the live well. Well as we know, that foam expands, and when it expanded, it pinched the fuel line closing the fuel line orifice down to half its size. I left the original fuel line in the boat and simply routed the new fuel line down the gunnel rail.

You may want to ask your mechanic to run a new temp fuel line to see if it corrects your issue. If it does, he'll be able to route a new fuel line within the boat.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SMChamp; 03-08-2018 at 05:25 PM.

3. Member
    Mine does it and it sucks! I also have major problems pumping gas, it backwashes causing it to take forever to add fuel.

Thanks for the feedback SMChamp. I'm going to try to get out and run it this weekend to see if the cap adjustment has taken care of the issue. I really hope it does. If not at least I know another route to look. I was under the impression the fuel line from the primer bulb connected at the rear of the tank directly behind the bilge cover ??

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” – Hunter S Thompson

2017 V20
    2017 PRO XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmojo View Post
    Mine does it and it sucks! I also have major problems pumping gas, it backwashes causing it to take forever to add fuel.
    Does that happen on the water or on the trailer or both?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh3105 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback SMChamp. I'm going to try to get out and run it this weekend to see if the cap adjustment has taken care of the issue. I really hope it does. If not at least I know another route to look. I was under the impression the fuel line from the primer bulb connected at the rear of the tank directly behind the bilge cover ??
    I love the quote from your profile!

7. Member
    When idling it happens. When running it's no issue.