Playing around with some spinnerbaits!

Playing with some new schemes for smallmouth

2. Member
    Looks good.

3. Member
    Bravo!!!! I liked how you played around with the bend location on the main shaft. I made a tool in order to make the same bend in almost the same location as your all chartreuse bait with the chartreuse blades with black markings. It allows me to make the same bend in the same location consistently, it took awhile to find the right spot to get the bait to track like I wanted while still helping to keep the wire from bending too much at the head. I use a much shorter wire coming out of the head so I can't make another bend without messing up the tracking but I may try the style wire form you did in some of those baits, I really like the concept. I also like the sleeve over the "R" bend in the second pic, the gold bait with the Hildebrandt blades in 4 and 4.5. Very, very nice overall, from build quality to color patterns and blade choices, excellent work indeed!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    Bravo!!!! I liked how you played around with the bend location on the main shaft. I made a tool in order to make the same bend in almost the same location as your all chartreuse bait with the chartreuse blades with black markings. It allows me to make the same bend in the same location consistently, it took awhile to find the right spot to get the bait to track like I wanted while still helping to keep the wire from bending too much at the head. I use a much shorter wire coming out of the head so I can't make another bend without messing up the tracking but I may try the style wire form you did in some of those baits, I really like the concept. I also like the sleeve over the "R" bend in the second pic, the gold bait with the Hildebrandt blades in 4 and 4.5. Very, very nice overall, from build quality to color patterns and blade choices, excellent work indeed!!
    thank you for the kind words! I place the bend in different areas for fishing at different speeds. I like bent frames more. They come through cover better,you can fish them at slower speeds with still good blade turning ratio and the bait staying upright coming over logs etc. I feel it changes vibrations in them too.

Very nice! How does the bent frame affect hook ups?

I'm guessing you're not fishing around a lot of grass there so the cover you're concerned with getting through is wood, but I'm thinking experimenting with different bends might be just the ticket to easily getting a spinnerbait through some of our emergent vegetation here in MN (reeds, wild rice, etc) without spearing them with the hook point and spooking everything around. Heck, maybe it even "shield" the blades and swivel enough that it would help them come through submergent stuff like milfoil. I'm guessing the further away from the head you bend it, the more weedless it becomes? Or maybe it's not that simple...Something I think definitely worth trying for myself if you're still reliably getting the hook in the fish.

Also, is that just a small piece of heat shrink you're using to close the "eye" on several of them? I've been tying mine shut with my fly tying tools, but that seems a lot easier. What size, if so?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Nice! Very good work.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Very nice! How does the bent frame affect hook ups?

I'm guessing you're not fishing around a lot of grass there so the cover you're concerned with getting through is wood, but I'm thinking experimenting with different bends might be just the ticket to easily getting a spinnerbait through some of our emergent vegetation here in MN (reeds, wild rice, etc) without spearing them with the hook point and spooking everything around. Heck, maybe it even "shield" the blades and swivel enough that it would help them come through submergent stuff like milfoil. I'm guessing the further away from the head you bend it, the more weedless it becomes? Or maybe it's not that simple...Something I think definitely worth trying for myself if you're still reliably getting the hook in the fish.

Also, is that just a small piece of heat shrink you're using to close the "eye" on several of them? I've been tying mine shut with my fly tying tools, but that seems a lot easier. What size, if so?
    The bend doesn't effect hookups at all and actually increases them. Especially on days they tend to key on the blades rather than the skirt. it comes through weeds much better from eel grass,to cabbage,milfoil,and bullwhips. I've never had a smallmouth throw a bait either. the hook to land ratios increased since I've bend my frames. I use piano wire for frames too.

Excellent info and explanation. Thank you!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    What size clevis are you using and what size of bearoing swivel on the end are you using. Thanks for
    The help, the baits look good

Where did you get the blades from ? specifically the ones in the top left picture

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Excellent info and explanation. Thank you!
    I use a size 3 clevis or size 2 depending on the size of the wire I’m using. I use size 2 and 3 ball bearing swivels as well depending on the size blades I’m usomg.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakedusterbps View Post
    What size clevis are you using and what size of bearoing swivel on the end are you using. Thanks for
    The help, the baits look good
    Are you talking about the finish on them?

Quote Originally Posted by basscat28 View Post
    Are you talking about the finish on them?
    I think you ment this for me , yes where can i get blades with that same finish as in the top left side picture

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    I think you ment this for me , yes where can i get blades with that same finish as in the top left side picture
    I made them myself actually from a blank blade and nail tape

Ok...had no idea what nail tape was till i googled it...i guess you stick it on and clear coat the blade or does it stay on with out clear ?

16. Member
    I’ve had some you clear coat but th we particular ones stick good especially after you run over them with a heat gun

Quote Originally Posted by basscat28 View Post
    I’ve had some you clear coat but th we particular ones stick good especially after you run over them with a heat gun
    10-4 Thanks for the info