Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Totally lost on gauge/ merc monitor - just ordered boat

Hey fellas, I just ordered a new Phoenix this week and spec’d it with a SC1000 gauge. Sitting on the couch tonight i started reading about the different Mercury gauges and im totally confused now. I tried researching it on here but it just left me spinning in more circles.

Im just looking for something to tell me vital engine info( temp, psi, rpms, engine hours, and maybe fault codes). What would be the best thing for me? I like the idea of the big round gauge compared to the little black square but just want the easiest thing to give me the info.

Should i stick with smartcraft gauge or go to merc monitor? I hardly know the anything other then they are two different things.

Boat will be 819 Phoenix w/ 200 pro xs

thanks for any help
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Mercmonitor is a better Smartcraft gauge.

3. Member
    Level 1 Merc Monitor at minimum...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Member
    I had the sc1000 and upgraded to the Level 1 Mercury Monitor last year... love it
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

5. Member
    Is the level one the small square gauge?

6. Member
    The level 1 is still the round mercmonitor gauge, there are 3 different levels of that gauge. The higher in level you go, the more options you have to monitor different things.

It can be confusing. First of all “Smartcraft” is a Mercury trademark term for their motor’s network. In a sense it is the language that the motor speaks. There are many different instruments that can utilize this language.

The small black gauge you referred to is a Systemmonitor. It went out of production a while ago. It is the first generation of Smartcraft technology. It is no longer supported and does not network with anything else.

Its replacement is the Mercmonitor and comes in several versions - Basic (Level 0), Level 1 and on up. The Level 1 and higher is more customizable with tri-screens showing 3 data sources on one screen. My favorite is RPM, Water PSI and Engine Temperature. Level 1 and higher is also a NMEA2000 gateway to send data to a Lowrance unit. The MM also displays most alarm signals and what recommends a course of action. It can also receive inputs from Fuel tanks and GPS with optional harnesses.

There are also Smartcraft Tach and Speedo sets, Vessel view Link, Vessel View Mobile. Plus Systemlink gauges that can be purchased to show Smartcraft data in a traditional “analog” method...think gauge with a needle.

I have used quite a few of the options above. My recommendation is a Level 1 Mercomonitor to start. You can branch out from there as funds permit.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It can be confusing. First of all “Smartcraft” is a Mercury trademark term for their motor’s network. In a sense it is the language that the motor speaks. There are many different instruments that can utilize this language.

The small black gauge you referred to is a Systemmonitor. It went out of production a while ago. It is the first generation of Smartcraft technology. It is no longer supported and does not network with anything else.

Its replacement is the Mercmonitor and comes in several versions - Basic (Level 0), Level 1 and on up. The Level 1 and higher is more customizable with tri-screens showing 3 data sources on one screen. My favorite is RPM, Water PSI and Engine Temperature. Level 1 and higher is also a NMEA2000 gateway to send data to a Lowrance unit. The MM also displays most alarm signals and what recommends a course of action. It can also receive inputs from Fuel tanks and GPS with optional harnesses.

There are also Smartcraft Tach and Speedo sets, Vessel view Link, Vessel View Mobile. Plus Systemlink gauges that can be purchased to show Smartcraft data in a traditional “analog” method...think gauge with a needle.

I have used quite a few of the options above. My recommendation is a Level 1 Mercomonitor to start. You can branch out from there as funds permit.

Thank you! Now will/should my dealer know what im talking about if i say i want a level 1 Mercmonitor?

Im going to contact him today and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    Thank you! Now will/should my dealer know what im talking about if i say i want a level 1 Mercmonitor?

Im going to contact him today and change it.
    If he's any kind of Mercury dealer, he damn well better!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

This is the best explanations of the MM systems I've read, anywhere, on any forum on here.

But I still have a question, isn't the SC1000 discontinued/out of date? How is the OP able to order it with a new boat? Or am I still missing something?
    I got nothin

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    This is the best explanations of the MM systems I've read, anywhere, on any forum on here.

But I still have a question, isn't the SC1000 discontinued/out of date? How is the OP able to order it with a new boat? Or am I still missing something?

Spoke to dealer and he said that he does not believe that the extra $400 more for merc monitor level 1 would benefit me for what im looking at needing it for. He said its the small rectangle gauge and will tell me everything that i told him i wanted to know. He had no problems in changing it if I wanted but said he couldnt justify selling me on it. As of now im going to leave it as it is. I have 10-14 week wait to change my mind.

Thanks fellas and hopefully the explanation above will help someone in the future as well.

12. Member
    Does it give operating temp ? That's important. Motor should be warmed up to 120 degrees before acceleration.

I disagree with your dealer. The Systemmonitor only displays one item at a time. Also, it will only give you an icon similar to a check engine light. The MM will say System Fault 140 STBD Thermostat. Proceed to port and have motor serviced. To me KNOWING what is causing an alarm is huge. I am sure I have saved more then $400 by fixing the issue myself and not being towed in since I knew what was causing the problem.

BTW, I am not sure if Sys Fault 140 is for the T-stat. I just picked a number out of my butt to use as an example.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 03-08-2018 at 01:14 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

14. Member
    Order the boat with what is called the small gauge console. Then replace the speedometer with the round smartcraft gauge that will pop right into the hole. I'm not sure which level you need but get the one that for sure hooks up to your nmea network. This will allow you to display all of the information contained in the gauge right in front of you on your Lowrance hds this way. You can pick and choose which information to display.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The System Monitor does not provide fault numbers or text- ONLY FLASHING ICONS.

Need to move up into the System Tach & Speed, MercMonitor Series, or Vessel View Series to obtain that info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Great information here!

My question is about upgrading from the old square one
    How plug and play is it?
    Can you use the old cable or do you need a new one?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Here is a perfect example of what I wrote about above...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=825530
    Last edited by 06 SB; 03-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

18. Member
    Mr. Don- will i be able to search the icon and figure out the approx cause of the problem.

AreTheyBiting- i would like to know that as well

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Order the boat with what is called the small gauge console. Then replace the speedometer with the round smartcraft gauge that will pop right into the hole. I'm not sure which level you need but get the one that for sure hooks up to your nmea network. This will allow you to display all of the information contained in the gauge right in front of you on your Lowrance hds this way. You can pick and choose which information to display.
    The dealer did say that i would have to change the dash for the gauge to fit and that it was $300 for the other dash if i remember correctly.

My mind isnt set in stone i just want to make sure that i dont haphazardly change it again.

thanks!!

20. Member
    The alarm will only be displayed as long as it is occurring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast