Banned

225 SHO having trouble holding speed in curves.

The motor is on a 400t javelin 225 SHO 25 pitch t-2 Yamaha prop . I run a lot of rivers and I'm entering the curve doing 72-73 mph at 6000 rpms but speed will drop to 57 mph . I've been toying with the idea of buying 24 pitch to try. I must add I'm running a 5 inch cmc hyd plate. If I raise the motor u high she doesn't drop down but to 62-63 mph . Im just concerned to push it in the curves and that height . Any suggestions thanx

2. Member
    OK I'm not a prop guy but I'll give this a shot. When you are trimmed for maximum speed and you turn, the angles change and create more slip. RPMs usually increase with a decrease in speed. Typically you counter this by trimming down but you have to find the medium you are comfortable with. I'm sure that you can find a prop that will hold speeds in turns better but they will decrease your WOT speed. It should also be noted that turning at high speeds can create handling issues such as hook. Other than that the only other issue is water pressure. I'm assuming we are talking about a V hull boat. If it's a STV, VT, VP, type hull you better be trimming down on turns or you are going to get out.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

3. Member
    Nothing keeps straight line speeds in a curve. It takes more HP with the added resistance. The harder you turn, the more speed you lose. That is normal.

Adding to that, even if you kept the same surface speed, not running in a straight line would reduce GPS speed calculations.
    Last edited by John Jackson; 03-08-2018 at 04:22 AM.

sounds like you need to try a few different props.

5. Member
    Most boats running 70 are on the pad, your turning on ability on the pad is virtually none. The minute the boat drops off the pad you have more hull in the creating more friction plus while turning the strakes are dragging as well. I don't know of a way to maintain speed on a pad hull while turning. Just my experience.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4