Red Metal Flake Gel Coat Repair

What are my options with repairing this gouge in my gel coat? Previous owner said it happened when tied up to a dock. I got the red flake from Ranger and have a match and Patch gel coat repair kit that I used for a couple places on the keel with solid red, not flake. Can I use the match and patch kit with the metal flakes to make this look decent or will clear gel coat have to be sprayed over it once the gouge is filled in and flake has been applied?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Just found a thread on here called 10-step gel coat repair that shows the Evercoat Match and Patch being used with glitter flake to repair a chip out of keel. Sounds like a good method. I will probably try that method. Fill the gouge with the gel coat patch and cover it with the matching flake glitter. Once that sets cover it with clear gel coat and wet sand/buff. Will probably go this route.

Yea, it looks like you have 2 or three different colors/flake to deal with... So that a bit of a wrinkle but still very possible...

Keep us all posted on your progress please....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Yea, it looks like you have 2 or three different colors/flake to deal with... So that a bit of a wrinkle but still very possible...

Keep us all posted on your progress please....
    Yes, unfortunately it is in the red, silver, and black. I may do a black base over the whole area and fully cover it in red over the red portion. Get some Silver and black flake from a craft store and do those areas separately. I will post some pics when completed.

5. Member
    Russell Marine has a video on You Tube that shows the exact process for dealing with multiple color flakes and stripes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    Yes, unfortunately it is in the red, silver, and black. I may do a black base over the whole area and fully cover it in red over the red portion. Get some Silver and black flake from a craft store and do those areas separately. I will post some pics when completed.
    Black gelcoat tinted base should be the right plan... skip the red tint. If you look really close, my guess is it is a black base under all of it.
    Once you build up the repair area, you'll apply the red polyflake - then the silver polyflake stripe. Followed up by complete overcoat of clear gelcoat. My instructions work good for small repairs, and will work for the base work on your repair, but you'll need to add some filler material like chopped strand mat for the large gouge you have.

As stated, look at Hawg's videos for similar repairs using Prevail sprayers. Will give you a nicer finished gelcoat surface on that large of a repair area.