Recessed trolling motor tray.

Guys I’ve got a 2010 H17 and would like to put a recessed trolling motor tray in. My concerns are the deck bracing I will have to cut through. Hoping someone on here has done this and can offer advice and confidence that I won’t regret doing this. Thanks!

I have done it on my H22B. I was nervous about it as well but I read some threads where some guys had tried it before. When you cut the bracing and the hole out it will feel a little weak but once you put the tray in and screw it in it is as sturdy as before. I don't regret doing it at all. Just be ready once your saw hits the bracing. Better have two hands on it.

3. Member
    I have an H18 and just went through the same thing. Before I started cutting I placed a 2”x2” piece of red oak under the deck for support and attached it using a simple L Bracket. You have to hammer in the piece of oak and make sure it is wedged tightly. After install of the tray everything is still very solid! I left the piece of oak for support. It was worth it! If you have any questions let me know.
    2016 Skeeter ZX 190 Yamaha 175 SHO Lowrance electronics

4. Member

Deck

Quote Originally Posted by MattMas View Post
    I have an H18 and just went through the same thing. Before I started cutting I placed a 2”x2” piece of red oak under the deck for support and attached it using a simple L Bracket. You have to hammer in the piece of oak and make sure it is wedged tightly. After install of the tray everything is still very solid! I left the piece of oak for support. It was worth it! If you have any questions let me know.
    I did the exact same thing with a piece of 2"-2" rot proof decking material. Worked great.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input!

6. Member
    Update. I finally got around to getting this done. I bought a Rod Saver kit and was happy with the pan itself but the template they supplied was 1/8” too small and the kit didn’t come with enough screws. I had to 45 the front corners slightly to scoot it forward to give a little extra clearance for my storage doors to open an close. As mentioned you have to cut through the support ribs in the deck and just screwing the pan in is definitely not sufficient support. I bought a 4’ piece of 2x aluminum angle iron and bolted it in by drilling holes through the flat area exposed when you open the storage doors. It was a nerve racking project but it’s done and looks and works great. Thanks again for the input!