Prop advise: stratos 285/Yamaha 150

Boat is a 2007 stratos 285xl with a carbureted vmax 150. I currently have a 23 pitch tempest and it runs 60mph at 5900 rpms. I am currently torn on decision of sending the 23 tempest to Mark and have it pitched up. Unsure if that will be enough to really optimize the boat or if I should abandon the 23 and start with a 25 tempest and have it worked up/down if needed. What kind of mph/ rpm change would normally be noticed by sending the 23 tempest to Mark? Will the 25 be too much?

You are doing well now... Reducing rpms will hurt your overall performance.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Thank you!

You may consider having Mark B&B that prop. Might be good for an extra 1-2 mph.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

If your worried about 5900 rpm being on the high side just remember come heat of summer you may lose 100-200 rpm.

6. Member
    The rpm itself doesn't worry me at all, just wonder if I'm leaving useable mph on the table. It is currently awesome out of the hole, and at 60 I think running pretty good for what I've got. An props aren't cheap so definately will take opinions before trying too much just for the heck of it. This is my first bass boat so not experienced enough At trying much with props as far as having one worked on vs should I start a little larger before any work. Just wonder at times if I can gain some mph and still be good down low. I know it's give An take with that. I'm a drag racer for a living so speed An performance are always on my mind ��

Your numbers are good. I have seen some 285's with 150 HP touch 62-64 light load, cool air and perfect running conditions with 60 ish loaded heavy. You said you're at 60 but did not give conditions so your close even if 60 was light. A 6" jackplate so you can dial in the sweet spot for motor height and sending your prop to Mark Croxten and let him do his magic may be worth a few more mph. Without knowing the conditions on how you reached 60 it would be hard to say if there is more left or if you're already there. If that 60 was light load then yes you do have a very small amount that you could potentially gain but realize when you go chasing the last 2-3 mph it can get expensive.

8. Member
    Thank you, that's good to hear that I'm sitting pretty decent. Yes it does have a 6" jack plate running about 3 1/2 prop to pad. I do feel it is a decent load, has a 12t talon, half tank fuel, full livewells and everything I own in it :) That will maybe put my brain to rest for a little while.

You are spot on for what you mentioned. "Most" Stratos boats like a prop to pad around 3.25"-3.5"/ On the 18 ft hulls a 6" jackplate is what recommended so your setup is correct. 23 Tempest is the typical pitch for a Tempest prop on a 150 HP motor. One thing to note is there is more to consider than pitch when talking about effect of rpm. Your 23 Tempest is 14-5/8" diameter whereas my 24 Raker II is 14.5" diameter. Even though pitch is different they will turn about the same rpm because of diameter. Anyways you are running a decent load with a 12 ft Talon,full livewells and loaded with tackle so 60 is about all she has. I would not touch anything. Only thing I would consider doing is having Mark "freshen" up the prop if it shows any sign of wear. I like to have him refurbish mine every 300 or so running hours. Otherwise I would not touch anything.