Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual Cranking Battery Set-up Help

Hey Bird Phamily. Does anyone have pictures of their battery set-up after adding 2 cranking batteries plus engine oil tank and 2 PP motors? After adding the Solix's I'll probably upgrade and could use some configuration help to keep those beasts running for more than 6 hours plus the other electronics. TIA

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you might squeeze in 2 34 series but another option may be one of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    I wonder how many people carry and run a Honda generator on their boats to run all the new electronics, 6 depth finders, radios, and dvd players, and such while they are fishing.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    I’m running four hds 9” power poles with a interstate 27 hd I fish for 7 or 8 hours and never had mine not start the motor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john721 View Post
    I’m running four hds 9” power poles with a interstate 27 hd I fish for 7 or 8 hours and never had mine not start the motor
    Hey John. It seems that the Humminbird Mega imaging draws a tremendous amount of power compared to the Lowrance units. I never had an issue until adding the Solix's to the equation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Yes get you one of these! Batteries Plus Bulbs.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanVFL View Post
    Hey John. It seems that the Humminbird Mega imaging draws a tremendous amount of power compared to the Lowrance units. I never had an issue until adding the Solix's to the equation.
    It does seem the birds draw a lot and are a lot more susceptible to voltage drops.

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    yep. That’s what I have. Works like a charm. (And that sucker is heavy!)

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    yep. That’s what I have. Works like a charm. (And that sucker is heavy!)
    Where do u get one of those big suckers at? I’ve never seen that battery? And about how much does one of those cost?

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Moderator
    $400.00 ouch

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    buy online and pickup you get $40 off and a $30 rebate. but yep its still a Lot of $
    info@drewcraft.com

I am in the market for a new cranking battery for my boat. I have a 2014 920 Pro XP. I am already on my second battery. The original battery lost a cell after two years and I needed a battery now, so I went to the closest wal-mart and bought a neverstart battery. Installed it in the parking lot and was off for the fishing trip. Now this battery is loosing power pretty fast. Started out with a full charge on Sunday and after two hours of fishing, running two Helix 10 I was down to 9 volts. I told myself then that I need a new battery. I am thinking about getting this X2Power battery you guys talk about in the thread, But is there any other good options out there.? What kind of batteries are you running in your boat?

Thanks in advance.....

14. Member
    X2Power battery all the way! Spend the extra money and you won't be disappointed.

15. Member
    I know that X2 battery is a stud from all the talk it gets on here, but I couldn't bring myself to drop that much money for a battery if I didn't have to do so. Sam's sells a Duracell 31 AGM that I've had for the past year that is a solid battery. Have had zero issues running graphs and constant recirc all day during tourneys. It's on sale right now for 159.82+ tax. Best marine battery value I'm aware of.

16. Member
    I've been running the Duracell for about 6 months now. It seems alright. It hasn't had an issue starting the motor after a long tournament day running both livewells and talons with 3 big graphs. Once or twice my humminbird has given me an alarm but I think it's just voltage drop because nothing else does. If I get a couple years out of it that will be good. My biggest issue is my charger. It constantly overheats in that little cubby hole they put them in. If I put a fan on it my batteries will charge in a couple hours but if not it will trip off almost every time. I need to move it I guess lol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I've been running the Duracell for about 6 months now. It seems alright. It hasn't had an issue starting the motor after a long tournament day running both livewells and talons with 3 big graphs. Once or twice my humminbird has given me an alarm but I think it's just voltage drop because nothing else does. If I get a couple years out of it that will be good. My biggest issue is my charger. It constantly overheats in that little cubby hole they put them in. If I put a fan on it my batteries will charge in a couple hours but if not it will trip off almost every time. I need to move it I guess lol
    Only complaint I ever had about running birds. Shut down and reboot just about every time I started the big motor at the end of a tourney day. This was over 15 year period with 3-4 different sets of graphs, 4-5 cranking batteries and two different chargers.

18. Member
    The birds are a lot worse than my lowrance about it. They never shut down and the motor never sounds like it's low on juice. If it wasn't for the lakemaster I would take it off or move it up front and add 360. I'm trying to actually be done spending on more stuff for this year lol.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    The birds are a lot worse than my lowrance about it. They never shut down and the motor never sounds like it's low on juice. If it wasn't for the lakemaster I would take it off or move it up front and add 360. I'm trying to actually be done spending on more stuff for this year lol.
    I'm with you there, but it's not working out that way.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    I'm with you there, but it's not working out that way.
    Oh I know, I know lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast