Leaf Spring on 721 Trailer

Well it happened Sunday night on my way home from Rayburn I had the leaf spring break on the rear axle, passenger side of the trailer. Fortunately a guy pulled up beside me and flagged me down before any additional damage. I got lucky, a buddy had a spare for his old trailer so it will go on tonight or tomorrow night.

A question for you guys. If I replace one, should I replace all 4 on a five year old trailer?

And now for comments and maybe a mini-rant!!

I am going to cut the u-bolts off and buy new ones rather than fight the Gatorhyde. I was under there looking at it and can pick up the hardware at Tractor Supply.

My mini-rant of the day is this. I called Marine Master after reading several people had gotten parts via them. I was told, nope we don't stock any spares, hmmmm. They told me to call UFP for parts, but I would need the axle serial number which is located on the side of the axle. Ummm nope, the guy who installed mine put them on the bottom, and of course they are covered with Gatorhyde. So I get a scraper, roll back under on my creeper, scrape as much as I could off, stick my phone under there and finally got a picture. Into the house I go, call up UFP, ummmm nope we don't handle them for trailers over 2 years old, WTH!!! Call Waymire. Ahhhhhhh deep cleansing breathe. Make a call to Waymire, tell the gentleman what I am looking for and that I have my axle serial number. All good, he does not need it. Another deep cleansing breathe. I get the info, the cost, the hole-to-hole size, number of leaves and the load rating.

As good as Phoenix is with customer service, maybe I expected to much. But you know what, I love my boat that as of this week has been mine for 5 years.

Phly on my Bird Brothers!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    that sucks....sounds like Lowrance where they wont touch a unit that a couple years old....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Ed, I just replaced mine. Trailer was making a bunch of noise at the ramp one day. I thought I had a brake dragging but it turned out to be the equalizer rubbing badly due to a bad spring. I guess 10 people in my boat for the holiday parade was a bad idea.

The springs are 1500lb each - 3 leaf with 3/8" leaves 26" long. I found mine online at Pacific trailers. They recommend changing all of them at the same time. I order new bolts and equalizers too which made the re-assembly go much easier. Only thing I would do different is order grease-able bolts so you can grease everything once in awhile. Stock has no Zirk fittings. Whole job cost about $150 in parts.

It took me a full day. Hardest part is getting the old bolts out where it bolts to the trailer. They are knurled on one side so they have to be pounded out from the back side. A torch helps here.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/coll...g-3-leaf-aws-3
    https://www.pacifictrailers.com/coll...2-hole-centers
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgJGh_D_BwE

4. Member
    I would order new shackles also. Trying to save the old ones is more work that it is worth.

5. Member
    phoenix needs to make a change on their trailer supplier. I left Skeeter after 16 years because of ez loader, my first phoenix trailer is right up their with ez loader. If things don't improve this will be my last phoenix.

Sorry to hear that Ed. I understand your frustration!! I had a mishap at a ramp and screwed up my fender and the Phoenix logo in the step in front if the fender. I had a difficult time finding ANY trailer company that was willing to try to bring it back to near new condition. They make more money selling new nit repairing trailers. So we try to contact Marine Master about a half dozen times to order the fender and the step with the Phoenix logo. They never returned his call. He gave up. So I have a bunged up starboard side fender. I guess I’ll just order a new trailer at some point from Coastal Trailers.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

7. Member
    I appreciate the info guys. One thing I learned last night after a small amount of cussing and application of a BFH (Oilfield term for Big F_____g Hammer) is that the bolts are knurled and pressed into the shackle, duh. Anyway for the short term to get me to a tournament next week I am using most of the same parts.

BMork thanks for the link on the springs. I plan on ordering a full set of everything and spending some quality time later this spring replacing the springs.

Just an FYI, a small propane torch does wonders on removing that damn Gatorhyde on the threads. It will not be on my rebuild.

Thanks again.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

8. Member
    quick question as I'm getting ready to replace the springs on trailer and was wondering if anyone has up sized
    the springs to 2000 lbs. 4 leaf style instead of the 1500 lbs. 3 leaf. The reason I ask is my boat seams to ride a little
    low on the back axle.

thanks
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

9. Member
    I ordered all my parts through Marine Master, but you have to have parts sent to a dealer, then go buy them. Mine said 2450 fronts and backs springs 3 leaves 26" eye to eye and Marine Master sent me some type of 4 leaf replacement springs that are heavier duty than my others. Im glad and like them better cause my boats heavy. ordered all 4 springs, springs u bolts and brackets, 2 equilizers, all links, all bolts and nylock nuts, all bushings came pre-installed in everything, used impact gun to remove on front and back leaf spring bolts and 1 bolt in center of equilizer. Comes off easier that way. Use impact gun to pull down bolts, cause bolts are knurled,tighten nuts up to tight then back off 1/2 turn back with wrench only, per Marine Master, cause there has to be some movment on the busings.

My Trailer was 3770 lb max weight
    fronts and rears springs are 2450 on Trailer sicker devided by 2 =1225
    with adding on poles, extra batteries, charger etc, I like the 4 leaf springs better . springs were 26" eye to eye.
    the best way is to remove everything and measure to order parts. no one seems to care about Trailer serial number or any axle numbers.
    takes 7/8 socket or wrench or 22mm for nylock nuts
    13/16 for the bolts or 21mm
    Last edited by billproxs; 03-09-2018 at 08:15 PM.

10. Member
    Hey Bill thanks. I actually purchased a complete set of hardware and am installing a 3 leaf my buddy had to get me on the road. In a month or so I am taking it to a local trailer shop and having 4 leafs all around.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstick View Post
    quick question as I'm getting ready to replace the springs on trailer and was wondering if anyone has up sized
    the springs to 2000 lbs. 4 leaf style instead of the 1500 lbs. 3 leaf. The reason I ask is my boat seams to ride a little
    low on the back axle.

thanks
    Mike see billproxs' comments after yours!

Plus my local trailer guy suggested I go to 4 leaf, which I will do soon.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

12. Member
    Thanks for the help
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862