Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making rod socks

I recently decided to remove my rod organizer and get rod socks for all my rods and whoever was fishing with me. I hate having rods laying around that are not being used. With that being the case, I needed about 20 rod socks. To purchase that many, I was going to cost at least $100 if I bought the cheapest I could find. I checked Ebay and found I could purchase a 100 foot roll of braided nylon 3/4 inch expandable sleeving for about $15. I used a paint roller extension pole as my "rod". Feed the end of the sleeve onto the pole all the way up to the length you want. Use a soldering gun to cut the sleeve from the roll. I used a piece of heat shrink tubing on the end to close the sock. Use a heat gun to "set the sleeve" aginst the pole. Once the sleeve cools (seconds) this will cause it to roughly stay about the same size as the pole. Take the sock off the pole and fold the opening end inside itself an inch or so. I then pushed this end up on a funnel, then heated it slightly again with the heat gun. Once it cooled, it kept the shape of the funnel and made the opening of the sock a flared end. From the 100 foot roll I was able to make 18 rod socks of varying length. Probably could have got a couple more out of it without a learning curve.

Wow...great tip!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

3. Member
    Hi Mike.

pictures?

6. Member
    Awesome!!!! This is the definition of clever tricks and ideas! Thanks, ordering some today!

7. Member
    Billy, thank you. I just ordered 100 ft.

8. Member
    Hey guys just wanted to mention this. KDS Fishing (board sponsor) has casting rod jerseys where they pick the color for $2.50 and spinning for $3.50. Ive bought about 15 so far and they are of good enoygh quality that i am very pleased with my purchase. Also tungsten worm weights cheapest ive found anywhere.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    Hey guys just wanted to mention this. KDS Fishing (board sponsor) has casting rod jerseys where they pick the color for $2.50 and spinning for $3.50. Ive bought about 15 so far and they are of good enoygh quality that i am very pleased with my purchase. Also tungsten worm weights cheapest ive found anywhere.
    Bought several from him as well.

10. Member
    Another tip for the ends, use 2 shrink tubes. Heat shrink the first one with half sticking off the end, then fold it over and heat shrink a second one flush with the end.

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    WOW>.. GREAT TIP. I need about 8 more rod six and this will be how I get them

12. Member

13. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    WOW>.. GREAT TIP. I need about 8 more rod six and this will be how I get them
    HEY, I got my expandable nylon sleeves and different color heat shrink tubing off ebay. Cutting the sleeves were a concern so I did not mess up
    my sodering iron. I made this cheap little sleeve cutter and it works GREAT. Really works good and I can't wait to get more sleeves in.
    Costs me less than $1.25 per sleeve/sox.

14. Member
    Thanks. My tubes arrived yesterday. I will cobble up a cutter. I have a battery charger that will work.

15. Banned
    Got my 100' roll today. Tried making a couple rod sleeves to see what happens and get a routine going. Think I got it. Now to find a way to tag each sleeve to that specific rod. Any ideas?

16. Member
    Tag rods. I am going to color code mine. Don't know exactly how yet.

17. Member
    I did this very thing years back I used a larger ring of shrink tubing at the opening to keep it open
    only downfall I came across is don't leave any hooks on because they get hooked up in the sleeve making it hard to get them free.
    Great cheap idea and you can pick colors to match your boat

18. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Great tip just finished making some up, they came out good.
    Thanks
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

19. Member
    I use a cattle ear tag and cut them down a little. Just use a sharpie to write any thing you want on there. Zip tie them to the end of the sleeve and go fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    Got my 100' roll today. Tried making a couple rod sleeves to see what happens and get a routine going. Think I got it. Now to find a way to tag each sleeve to that specific rod. Any ideas?

20. Banned
    shrink tube the small end and then dip it in the plasti dip used on tool handles...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast