Thread: AGM Battery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AGM Battery

Anybody running a Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM battery? Thinking of pulling my wet cell Interstate 27M-XHD(cranking/electronics/pumps) and replacing with one of these while they are on sale ($50 off), two Optimas run the troller and I have been pleased with those...

The Interstate is a beast for its size (1000 cranking amps, 800 cca, 182 resrve capacity vs 832, 640, 150 for the AGM), never had a problem running three graphs and pumps (when needed), but if I can eliminate the possibility of a leaking battery so be it.

Motor is a 115 ProXS 4s, suggestions welcome...

Thanks guys
    Last edited by ncbass; 03-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.

2. Member
    I have two of them as my trolling motor batteries. Had them about a year with no problems or issues.

3. Member
    My first two lasted for 11 years. Replaced with the same, going on my fourth season with them, no problems ever.

First, I would get the wet cells out of an aluminum boat....like you did with the Optima. Lessens the possibility of an acid accident.
    I run all Optima batteries in my RT, and they have been great. I run the Optima for a starting battery.
    I would definitely trust the Cabela's battery ---- unless the new owners (BPS) have changed the supplier and left the label on the outside. That's something I would be concerned about. Probably can't really find that out. A lot of times when one company buys another, things change.

I would also look at what Sam's has to offer. Since I bought mine, I believe that Optima moved their production to Mexico. I will try to buy one made in the USA when I have to replace mine.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I currently have 3 cabelas agm since 2011. Still perform strong
    Had 3 in the boat before this one no issues
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Not Banned
    Make sure your charger is rated for AGM batteries.

7. Member
    I had a problem with my Cabela's AGM after 10 months. They were great resolving the problem. I wanted to exchange it but they were out of stock and gave me a complete refund. I replaced it with one made in the US.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    First, I would get the wet cells out of an aluminum boat....like you did with the Optima. Lessens the possibility of an acid accident.
    I run all Optima batteries in my RT, and they have been great. I run the Optima for a starting battery.
    I would definitely trust the Cabela's battery ---- unless the new owners (BPS) have changed the supplier and left the label on the outside. That's something I would be concerned about. Probably can't really find that out. A lot of times when one company buys another, things change.

I would also look at what Sam's has to offer. Since I bought mine, I believe that Optima moved their production to Mexico. I will try to buy one made in the USA when I have to replace mine.
    Sam's has the Duracell AGM (size 31)with the following specs:
    Specifications

•1 amp hour rate:68.2
    •100 amp hour rate:110
    •20 amp hour rate:105
    •3 amp hour rate:85
    •5 amp hour rate:86
    •6 amp hour rate:87.4
    •8 amp hour rate:90
    •Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
    •Battery End Type:Top Post
    •Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
    •BCI Group Size:31
    •CCA at 0 degrees F:800
    •Freight Class:65
    •MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
    •Minutes at 15 amps:348
    •Minutes at 25 amps:210
    •Minutes at 5 amps:1265
    •Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
    •Minutes at 75 amps:53
    •Minutes at 8 amps:706
    •Polarity:Left Positive
    •Reserve Capacity:200
    •Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
    •Volts:12

Opinions on the Duracell? Price is only $159.99 with an 18 month free replacement guarantee...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverFox View Post
    Make sure your charger is rated for AGM batteries.
    It is...

10. Member
    So how are you guys determining batteries need to be replaced ? Take them to auto parts store load tester on cranking battery ? Will that be a way to test trolling motor battery ?
    I didn't use my boat last year but I did keep check on fluid level and charger plugged up. They are five years old this year.
    Thanks

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weez556 View Post
    So how are you guys determining batteries need to be replaced ? Take them to auto parts store load tester on cranking battery ? Will that be a way to test trolling motor battery ?
    I didn't use my boat last year but I did keep check on fluid level and charger plugged up. They are five years old this year.
    Thanks
    I'm just wanting to replace the wet cell cranker in mine, nothing is wrong with it. I run two Optimas for the troller, sealed and secure....

Getting the acid out of an aluminum boat is a good idea in my opinion. About 7 years ago I was fishing down from my house. The trolling motor was acting weak but was running and I was up front fishing. I heard a bang like a gun going off. One of the TM batteries exploded in the boat. I was in my fiberglass Ranger. I drove home and put my boat on the boat lift behind the house and raised it up and pulled the plug and dropped it down and flooded the compartment and then raised it and let it drain. I did this a couple of times and then sprayed baking soda in it. It could have been a lot worse with aluminum. I also deal with a 48 volt electric golf cart and know what battery acid can do.

Do this.....go get a hand pump sprayer and a flashlight. Mix some baking soda and water in the sprayer. Spray the solution around your battery area. If it foams and bubbles, it is neutralizing acid from your batteries. I know what acid can do to aluminum and I just want it as safe and protected as I can get it. Do you know that an Optima battery can be mounted on its side and still be OK?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

13. Not Banned
    Getting the acid out of an aluminum boat is a good idea in my opinion. About 7 years ago I was fishing down from my house. The trolling motor was acting weak but was running and I was up front fishing. I heard a bang like a gun going off. One of the TM batteries exploded in the boat. I was in my fiberglass Ranger. I drove home and put my boat on the boat lift behind the house and raised it up and pulled the plug and dropped it down and flooded the compartment and then raised it and let it drain. I did this a couple of times and then sprayed baking soda in it. It could have been a lot worse with aluminum. I also deal with a 48 volt electric golf cart and know what battery acid can do.

Do this.....go get a hand pump sprayer and a flashlight. Mix some baking soda and water in the sprayer. Spray the solution around your battery area. If it foams and bubbles, it is neutralizing acid from your batteries. I know what acid can do to aluminum and I just want it as safe and protected as I can get it. Do you know that an Optima battery can be mounted on its side and still be OK?
    So you let all the acid and what ever else was in your compartment flood into the lake? Smooth move cool!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverFox View Post
    So you let all the acid and what ever else was in your compartment flood into the lake? Smooth move cool!
    The fish should’ve been fine after 2 days . I was always good to go in a couple of days after doing acid ..

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    The fish should’ve been fine after 2 days . I was always good to go in a couple of days after doing acid ..
    Yeah, but 20 years later the fish will have flashbacks...

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post

17. Member
    So, anybody have an opinion on the Duracell? Own one?

18. Not Banned
    I've heard they are good. When I went AGM for cranking, I went with a battery from Advanced Auto. It was priced right and had a good warranty. There's also an Advance on every corner so if I needed replacement they were easy to find.

19. Member

What was the cause of the explosion?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    So, anybody have an opinion on the Duracell? Own one?
    I power my Ultrex with 2 gp31 Duracell AGMs on my RT188. Plenty of power for all day use. I fished 200+ days last year, 6-12hours each day with no problems. Granted it was the first year for those batteries. I can’t speak for longevity yet. So far, so good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast