Question My battery/bilge area filled up with water......

I got caught in some rough water and my Puma handled it very well. Unfortunately the marina wasn't protected from the weather and the waves were breaking into to the ramp. When putting my boat on the trailer I took on a lot of water as the waves broke onto the back of my boat. My battery/bilge area filled up with water during the process. After the area was drained out I tried starting the motor and it wouldn't turn over at all. The ignition beep would sound as usual in the on position but the motor wouldn't turn in the start position. After I drove home (1 hour drive) I tried again and it turned over and started right up. Is there anything I should check to make sure all is good? Thanks for any feedback.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

2. mikesxpress
    If you have PP pumps and jackplate pump in the service well you will need to check those for water intrusion. The caps on the tanks are vented and will suck water in. Any electrical termination/connection in the service well is now suspect regardless if you dry the area.

Assuming the boat was running when loading and the swells were also crashing into the rear of the engine (intake is back there) did you pull the cowling off and check the engine air supply system for water collection? Note: the top cover over the belt is also your air feed for the compressor.

3. Member
    Thanks for the tips. I will check it tonight.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI