Boat Care and Upkeep

Hey guys, so I picked up my new to me 2006 Z19 and love it. Fished an FLW a week after buying it, ran great, cashed a check, all is right in the world.

Downside, I have to store it outside for the next 6 months or so until I move into my new place with a garage. Previous owner provided me a cover but we have had a week of heavy rains and more expected to come and I find myself constantly having to dry the inside after work. Most mornings lately it's also iced over. So aside from keeping it covered (no roof over her unfortunately) periodically drying the seats / carpet, what are some things I can proactively do to keep it from becoming a trainwreck? It's in great shape as is the trailer and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks guys.

I would buy a blue tarp from Lowe's and pull it tight over top of your boat cover. I should keep the water out.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

i use a 100' rope, haha don't need that long, but i'm not cutting it, bought it that way for anchor and temp cover use.. I tie one end at prop shaft base, then over center of boat across the top of the F&R fishing seats, and tie other end on front trailer tongue . Use a large blue Walmart tarp make a A Frame Tent cover and bungee cord both sides to trailer frame. rain rolls off of course and if layed flat on deck, you'd have a portable pool liner in Boat. I also do this when camp/fishing and have boat at camp site..Ya know its gonna Rain when camp/fishing, even in blue sky summer time.. as all females even mother nature .,. cant let a guy enjoy free time for self lolo.. I even keep that cover on it when under roof in boat shed. keeps the dust and bird poop off, they always seem to get into the rafters..
    Last edited by Bass AHolic; 03-05-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Besides the tarp suggestions, put a box of moth balls, with the top cracked open in the boat. The odor will help keep the critters out, so your wiring stay's intact. My previous boats lived outside , under tarps for years, and they looked just fine.

I also used to put a fan in my boat. It helped just keeping air moving!

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

6. Banned
    See if you can rent a storage unit for 6 mos.