Powercoat/ Rhinoline or buy new trailer? 98’ 191

I’d like to get some input from some of you guys on what to do with my trailer. I have a 98’ 191 on a tandem axle trailer that’s going to need some work done. It has some rust on the frame and the fender wells are rusted where the diamond plate is attached. The bolts that attached the bunks are pretty rusted as well. I’m debating on whether I should look at buying a new trailer or get this one repaired. The surge brakes are no longer working either. Some of the estimates that I’ve got are between $900 and $1500 to get it powedercoated or Rhinolined. I’d like to get the trailer rewired with LED lighting if I’m going to go through the hassle of getting everything else done. The boat is in good shape and I plan on keeping it for a while.

Any thought or opinions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    That's a Dri Doc trailer. Any money you're thinking on spending would be better spent on a new one. If you had a TI (EZ Loader) channel trailer, I might spend some $$ to get it in shape. Dri Doc's tubing rust from the inside out

3. Member
    Thanks TX. What trailer would you suggest and what does a new one cost?

4. Member
    I would research some aluminum trailer mfg’s.

5. Pat Goff
    Tube trailer is just cancer. No cure for what should never have been built.

It all depends on how long you're planning on keeping your boat, either you invest long term or keep patching it up.
    If you're going long term, get an aluminum, it costs the same as a rust bucket painted trailer, and you'll never worry about cancer again.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Tube trailer is just cancer. No cure for what should never have been built.

It all depends on how long you're planning on keeping your boat, either you invest long term or keep patching it up.
    If you're going long term, get an aluminum, it costs the same as a rust bucket painted trailer, and you'll never worry about cancer again.
    Thanks Pat. Do you have suggestions on what trailer you would buy?

7. Pat Goff
    Coastline Or Texall. Coastline has built quite a few champ trailers. They are top shelf.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    I have the same boat as you. I love it. I would look into a marine master trailer. they are made in Winchester and are used on the new phoenix boats. I toured the factory (Phoenix) and was impressed with the trailers they use. Always good to support Tennessee companies.

I have a 2001 196 with an EZ Loader Tube trailer. No doubt that it rusts from the inside out, but a couple years ago I didn't want to spend the money on a new one. So, during the winter, I stripped her down and reworked pretty much everything.

New pads
    resurfaced rotors
    removed all rust with a die grinder and a sanding pad
    replaced all worn components
    new coupler
    complete rewire
    new safety chains
    new races and bearings
    new winch
    new jack
    new boat buckles
    new diamond plate everywhere
    new lights everywhere
    added backup lights and wired them to the reverse input for my brake solenoid
    Rhinolined entire trailer - was only $125 for materials. Couldn't be happier with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by BCastillo View Post
    I have the same boat as you. I love it. I would look into a marine master trailer. they are made in Winchester and are used on the new phoenix boats. I toured the factory (Phoenix) and was impressed with the trailers they use. Always good to support Tennessee companies.
    The marine master trailers under the Phoenix boats are crap