Destin/Choctawhatchee bay/Bass Boat in the bay

Was just wondering if anyone on here has fished in Choctawhatchee bay and what should I expect. Have done a ton of research and know there is great Trout and Reds any tips would be awesome.

I am pulling my boat to use (after looking at guide prices for the day) any thoughts? any of you guys down there slip your BB in the bays?

I did post over the saltwater forum but no discussion over there.
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...

2. Member
    I don't know where you could slip a boat. I have never brought mine down. We've been going for the month of Feb for 8-9 years. The new bridge 331 is open and there is a great launch at the newly opened Pilcher Park at the S end of the bridge. Also real nice launches at Cessna Landing, Hog Town Bayou, and a smaller parking area but great launch at Point Washington. These are all on the East end of the bay. There are no marinas in that area except Baytown and I do not know if you could slip there. I would look at a temp place to be able to park the boat and trailer. I shore fish the access areas along 331. First week was cold and fishing was slow. The trout and reds were very solid for the remaining 3 weeks. Nice new bait shop at the S end of the bridge Bay Baits just S of the Bay restaurant. I have become a regular "bridge troll" seeing the same core group every year. I never bought shrimp this year. DOA's and VooDoo worked just fine. Generally speaking chartreuse seemed to be the go to color except with the DOA's red was hot. My hot bait this year was a baby silver or white fluke on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz chartreuse jig head on a light braid and 7'6" rod. The warmer water was starting a top water, Mirrodine, bite. A lot of fun. Beautiful place.

3. Member
    Grindstone thank you so much thats great info...what I meant to say was "slip" was using your Bass boat in the bay because of the saltier water there is some debate about whether that is a good decision. My thinking is..is not acid and a good washing after fishing should be fine.

I will definely use that launch at 331 that puts me mid bay...was planning on coming out with the Z man swim bait with 1/4 big eye jig. Really looking forward to fishing this area..
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...