Thread: Patoka

Patoka

Anyone know the water conditions ?

2. Member
    Ear infection kept me off the lake today however I know it’s up and ranges from muddy to stained , buddy of mine said it was 48-49 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Ear infection kept me off the lake today however I know it’s up and ranges from muddy to stained , buddy of mine said it was 48-49 degrees
    Thank you Sir. I'll be heading that way sometime.

Backs of creeks are muddy, mouths of creeks are stained, main lake almost clear. Main lake 49 degrees, back of Painter creek in the mud 55 degrees. Fished 3 hours Saturday and had zero bites.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Backs of creeks are muddy, mouths of creeks are stained, main lake almost clear. Main lake 49 degrees, back of Painter creek in the mud 55 degrees. Fished 3 hours Saturday and had zero bites.
    Thank you.

6. Member
    Strange, I was out there Sunday morning March 4th. I stayed in the South Lick area. Water was muddy at best. Temp was 45 everywhere I went. Only thing that was the same was ZERO bites. I got excited when I saw all the dock floats in the parking lot, thought maybe they were going to expand the dock at the ramp, guy said the marina was expanding.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by possum bob View Post
    Strange, I was out there Sunday morning March 4th. I stayed in the South Lick area. Water was muddy at best. Temp was 45 everywhere I went. Only thing that was the same was ZERO bites. I got excited when I saw all the dock floats in the parking lot, thought maybe they were going to expand the dock at the ramp, guy said the marina was expanding.
    I'm not hearing good things about the Southlick marina as of lately, not sure whats going on but a good friend of mine and his wife have owned and docked their houseboat there for many years and recently sold it due to issues at the marina.

Think it will get any better by the weekend? Will they bring the levels down?

9. Member
    Slim
    Patoka doesnt come down fast. They can discharge about .2 feet of water level a day. Much more than that, it will flood Jasper. This is based off watching the lake level over the last few years, not on facts. I dont think conditions will improve much this year for that stupid lake, It LOVES to hate me! Only reason I fish it is because it has become personal, I know there is quality fish in the lake and I have vowed to conquer it. Doubt I ever will but I'll keep trying.

10. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    No doubt there are some good fish in Patoka. I've been lucky enough the past 2-3 years to catch some of them. But they sure are few and far between.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

11. Member
    Some of my biggest bags ever have came from that place but I've blanked more times than I like to admit also
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    The level is very fishable. Only 4’ above summer pool. But cold muddy water is the issue. It should clear up a lot by the weekend. But will still be 3.5-4’ above summer.

13. Member
    I’m ok with the water being up, the cold temp is the thing that bothers me..... if we could have some spring like sunshine and 60 plus degree days it would really help but I’m not seeing it in the near future.....

Patoka used to be one of the best cold water lakes around. The grass kept the fish relatively shallow most of the winter, so it was normal catch a few fish in January and be catching fish consistently once the water hit 45 degrees. Now I think the fish and baitfish go deeper and live in open water during winter and it takes longer for them to move up to where we are used to catching them in the spring. Fishing Patoka now is like fishing Kentucky lake with no current. The fish are still there, but they could be anywhere and they may not stay in one place for very long.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Patoka used to be one of the best cold water lakes around. The grass kept the fish relatively shallow most of the winter, so it was normal catch a few fish in January and be catching fish consistently once the water hit 45 degrees. Now I think the fish and baitfish go deeper and live in open water during winter and it takes longer for them to move up to where we are used to catching them in the spring. Fishing Patoka now is like fishing Kentucky lake with no current. The fish are still there, but they could be anywhere and they may not stay in one place for very long.
    I enjoy fishing some of the Kentucky lakes in the winter like Barren, Green River and Rough and I usually do pretty well, few years ago I started using some of the same techniques in Patoka during the cold water months and they’ve worked pretty well, nothing close to the Ky lakes, but last year I caught some very nice bass when the water was only 42 degrees.....

16. Member
    Caught a 5.13, 5.35 & 2.25 today.

Heading up tomorrow.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    Heading up tomorrow.
    I’ll be there too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I’ll be there too.....
    Good deal, I've got to get a sticker so I'll put in near the Marina. I'll be in the black cherry champion.