Any Fayette Regulars?

I’ve been fishing Fayette pretty regular the last 4-5 years, but this is my first spring ever. Usually start around April because of kid activities. So here’s my 2 questions.

1. I’ve caught more unders the last 4-5 trips than I’ve caught in the last 4-5 years combined. Is this a normal spring thing or not?

2. Do they spawn earlier than the reservoirs? I’ve always heard that anyway. I’ve caught a few fish the last week and a half and zero that looked like they had eggs.

Been several years since I fished up there, but I believe the majority of those fish spawn in January/February.

I also was reading the other day that they have changed or are going to change the slot limit there. Prolly find it on the TPW web page.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

3. Member
    We were there a couple of weeks ago. Fish had eggs in them. Nothing over 5lbs, but was a decent trip

Still the same on the TPWD

For largemouth bass, length limit is a 14-24” slot. Bass 14 inches and less or 24 inches or greater in length may be retained. Only one bass 24 inches or greater may be retained each day. For smallmouth bass (if present), minimum length = 14 inches. No minimum length on spotted, Guadalupe, and Alabama bass (if present.) Daily bag limit for all species = 5 black bass in combination.

P01135809

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

yes they spawn earlier then other lakes, but spawn is not a few weeks its months. U can find fish on beds thru April.

There is a proposal to change the min length to 16". so the slot would be 16 to 24.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    It’s not fishing like it did last year, but I don’t go there often enough to know why not. Lots of unders or not much over, whereas last year at this time zero unders.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    It’s not fishing like it did last year, but I don’t go there often enough to know why not. Lots of unders or not much over, whereas last year at this time zero unders.
    Might not mean a thing, but it is interesting for many people to be catching an unusually larger amount of fish less than 14".

9. Member
    I doubt it means much, I think the very cold winter slowed down the larger fish moving shallow. Like I say though I don’t go there often enough to really know.