Engine air sensor

2010 250 pro xs
    Serial #1b757176

Last couple times I been fishing this has happened. Usually later in the day. While fishing and moving from spot to spot, each time I crank motor up i get this message on my smartcraft.

First, a long 5 second beep. Then a message saying "engine air sensor not working". System fault #40.

After a few seconds the beep goes off and I can exit the code and proceed to running

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Member
    The air temperature circuit is reading high. You have a wiring problem, or a bad sensor.

Get it fixed before running the motor again.

3. Member
    Which sensor do you think? I don't have an air temp sensor hooked to the smartcraft Speedo and it is turned off on the guage. Its got me puzzled.

4. Member
    The sensor is on the motor.

5. Member
    The sensor on the air compressor you think? Looks like part# 13536a12 or something. Thanks.

6. Member
    intake air temp sensor screws in intake plenum stbd side of air butterfly brass fitting with 2 white wires coming out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    intake air temp sensor screws in intake plenum stbd side of air butterfly brass fitting with 2 white wires coming out
    +1

And I'll also add that if you have a piece of yellow plastic debris bouncing around in the cowling, OR in the intake, this may generate this fault.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    tell Rhonda i need one. I am emailing her now with some other items.

Thanks again

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's a dire emergency... I might have one set back in my "stuff".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Just to follow up. that sensor seems to have fixed my issue. thanks for the help everyone!