Question Talon Spike won't retract! Help!

Good Morning all,

So my problem lies with the retraction of the talons I have two 8' talons my Starboard side (passenger) talon will not return. Both talons will go down as far as they can but when I press up on the buttons or manually only the Port side will return. The starboard side motor will continue to run until it times out or realizes it can't go up or won't go up and then it beeps at me. Not sure what i can do to fix this or if anyone has any suggestions. I keep them clean and have flushed them several times and keep them lubricated where need be. Any information or ideas on what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

2. Member
    How old are the Talons
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    not sure? I bought the boat from the original owner in 2013, the boat is a 2010 id assume 6-8 years old but i have no idea how old they are....

4. Member
    Are you pressing the up button via a remote, or pressing the button on the physical talon itself?

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

5. Member
    both, regardless of what I press (the foot pedal, the remotes, or on the physical talon itself) the motor will constantly run but the spike will not retract. I called minnkota Directly and they said it may be something with the Motor gears being warn out. Only downfall is I would like to try and fix these myself rather than bring it into a dealer, Unfortunately I may have to bite the bullet and bring it in as not many people I have talked to have a legitimate fix or answer.

6. Member
    Pretty simple to troubleshoot. Have you looked to see if the cable jumped off the roller?

8. Member
    No I haven’t pulled it apart at all kind of scared to to be honest. I’m assuming just pull the top cap off?

9. Member
    Are they Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3 Talons? For starters, pull the top cap off. Pretty simple, do a visual inspection. You'll see a white roller pulley. Make sure the steel cable is on the roller.

10. Member
    Sounds good I’ll check later tonight and get back to you with what I find out. Thanks.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MNbasser11 View Post
    No I haven’t pulled it apart at all kind of scared to to be honest. I’m assuming just pull the top cap off?
    If taking the cap off or cover over the controls scares you then you most likely should just take them to a repair center.

I suspect that is due to possibly deploying while the unit is trailered. On early units a bug was discovered where if the unit deployed to around 2 ft. it would not retract with remote. This has been corrected in the most recent software update which can be done from the smart phone app.

Thank you,

Mike Neitzke
    Technical Service Rep.
    mneitzke@johnsonoutdoors.com

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc.
    121 Power Drive
    Mankato, MN 56002

800-227-6433
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

13. Member
    Thanks for your input Jeff from Iowa... it was a figure of speech... but thanks for your help. ����

14. Member
    so pulled the cover off the talon and the cable is on the pulley, however it sounds and looks like the gears are not engaging up or down anymore, has anyone fixed this before? is it relatively easy to replace or something i probably can't do myself?

15. Member
    No offense, but if you were concerned over taking the cover off, your best bet is to take them in to an authorized dealer to have them looked at.

16. Member
    There is a you tube video on replacing the cables on a Talon. I watched the entire video 45 minutes long . You better have your shit together when it comes to take apart aTalon . There must be over a 100 parts . Lots of spring loaded shims and guides come popping out . They are a very complex tool . Almost to complex for bass boats and what we put them through .

17. Member
    My Talon is in the shop now for issues where it would intermittently not retract. The authorized repair center said it's an issue with a circuit board and they are replacing it.