Question Gear lube leaking from lower unit - '06 175hp Optimax

Unwrapped the boat today to get her ready for the first trip of the season. Immediately noticed a small amount of gear lube was leaking from the water intake holes (vertical series of holes), and another hole that is in line with the top seal you refill your gear lube from, but closer to the front of the motor.

What am I looking at here for potential issues? My mechanic is closed for the weekend so I didn't even have the chance to call him. I would still like to go fishing tomorrow, going to a small pond I intended to just troll around anyway, don't need the outboard for this place. However, wanted to make sure I'm not risking any other issues by soaking her for a day.

The gear lube leaking wasn't perfectly normal in color after I wiped it down and a little more leaked out. That additional leakage had a very slight foamy look to it, but it was maybe half a teaspoons worth of fluid total that came out again. I will post pics very shortly.

Drain. Make sure it is bluish black in color if you ran high performance lube. Refill with same. You can buy at WalMart in weekends. If it is brownish, you have water. Do not run until issue addressed.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Member
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Drain. Make sure it is bluish black in color if you ran high performance lube. Refill with same. You can buy at WalMart in weekends. If it is brownish, you have water. Do not run until issue addressed.
    Pics of the fluid below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't look like water but seals are definitely compromised. My guess from overfilling. Do not use until lower is pressure tested.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Member
    Probably looking at new seals then huh? Or will correct fluid level fix that? And are you talking about the two seals for filling and draining the gear lube, or other seals?

Driveshaft and propshaft seals.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Driveshaft and propshaft seals.
    ....now I just need that gun emoji to throw right beside that, pointing back at it. Welp....F*#K. Thanks for the help Joe, I really appreciate it. That something I can still take out and not risk any other potential damage, so long as I'm not running it? Or should I keep it dry until I get it worked on?

Leave it in. You dont want air in there without lube.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    I meant should I keep the boat out of the water or can I still go out fishing in it so long as I'm not running the outboard? I probably shouldn't take it out but if it won't cause any additional problems just getting it in the water, then I definitely want to still get out fishing tomorrow or Monday.

Never done that. Wouldn't want to speculate. You mean trolling motor only? You're a diehard.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

11. Member
    Never done that. Wouldn't want to speculate. You mean trolling motor only? You're a diehard.
    lol this would be the earliest in the year I've ever been able to fish. I could have done the same exact weekend last year but wasn't able to get out for a couple of reasons, my wife being sick as a dog the biggest of them. I may just go anyway. I don't need to fire up the motor, the pond I'll be fishing is a meager 40 acres. You can troll the whole shoreline in an hour.

12. Member
    I would not allow the lower unit to be immersed in water, until the problem is fixed!

13. Member
    Update on this. I did not take it out, though I really wanted to. Got it into the mechanic today, they said it was the prop shaft seal was partially compromised. Having it repaired along with the spring tune-up, all just in time for a massive snowstorm this week!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Update on this. I did not take it out, though I really wanted to. Got it into the mechanic today, they said it was the prop shaft seal was partially compromised. Having it repaired along with the spring tune-up, all just in time for a massive snowstorm this week!!
    Smart move!

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this thread over to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving this thread over to the 2.5L Forum for you.
    Thanks!

Further update on the motor, everything else was fine. Had the prop shaft seals and water pump changed out, plus diagnosis fee, all said and done for $240. Not too bad, they said everything else looked good while they were in there.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Thanks!

Further update on the motor, everything else was fine. Had the prop shaft seals and water pump changed out, plus diagnosis fee, all said and done for $240. Not too bad, they said everything else looked good while they were in there.
    Nothing like peace of mind all is well.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax