Bought rod building equipment and picking out my first setup... need assistance

Like title says, I'm picking out components to build my first rod, I'm trying to stick with component kits for now. But my question is, the Fugi guide kit I picked out has the smallest ring size of 5, and the rod has a tip of 4.5-1.8mm, so the tip that was recommended by the site is a 5.5 size and 4.5-1.8mm. Is it normal to have a tip a half size bigger ring? Or should I find a different tip top?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Yeah, I usually use a 5.5 tip if my runners are 5's and a 6 tip if the runners are 5.5's. You can use the same size too but I wouldn't go smaller.

3. Member
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

4. Member
    Yeah, I usually use a 5.5 tip if my runners are 5's and a 6 tip if the runners are 5.5's. You can use the same size too but I wouldn't go smaller.[/QUOTE]

Amen. With all the leaders in use today, a bigger tip is nice. And a .5 bigger size won't look bad either. I've gone a full size larger ring on a dedicated slip bobber rod. Big difference in ease of casting.

Agree with the above - I almost always go up a whole size on the tip top. Figure it’s like a reduction guide when reeling in analogous to the reduction guides the line passes through coming off the reel, especially if there’s a leader knot coming through. A half size will be no issue.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34