Thread: First AR

First AR

Got myself a Springfield Armory "Saint Edge" today

Been wanting to get an AR for a while and finally decided to make the leap.

Reviews were good on this model and I have a couple of SA handguns that I have been very happy with.
    Just have a lot to learn as this type of gun is brand new to me.

Any recommendations/advice?

Thanks
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

2. Member
    Keep it cleaner than you would most of your other guns. Ive had shotguns and pistols some rifles you could shoot for years, never clean, and they would still fire the next time you picked it up. AR's definitely dont work that way. In my opinion, They are pretty jam-prone compared to your average firearm, but they are great as long as its kept clean.
    What do you want to use it for? If it's home defense, I'd throw a flashlight on it and call it a day.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Yes, the main purpose is home defence but I do like to go and shoot for fun and to keep my skills up.

A flashlight is a great idea, I was thinking about a red dot optic also.

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Keep it cleaner than you would most of your other guns. Ive had shotguns and pistols some rifles you could shoot for years, never clean, and they would still fire the next time you picked it up. AR's definitely dont work that way. In my opinion, They are pretty jam-prone compared to your average firearm, but they are great as long as its kept clean.
    What do you want to use it for? If it's home defense, I'd throw a flashlight on it and call it a day.
    Honest question. Are the comments on cleaning and jamming based on your personal experience or from what happened when the Army got the rifle in the 60s?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    You have to get one awfully dirty for it to start jamming but if you truly never clean it you will get jams eventually. The gas is puked into the action.

That is a good looking AR have you shot it yet. If so how is the trigger?
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

7. Member
    You got a good one for your first. one thing is you can take it down and clean it easily. Academy Sports has a good cleaning kit for about $15 that you can carry with you and does not take up much space. Nikon and Bushnell are 2 scope makers that have models for the AR15. I have the Nikon P-223 3x9 with mil dots. my Grandson carries my AR deer hunting, 11 years old and killed a buck off hand with mine on juvenile hunt last November. deer ran only about 30 yards after being shot with the Federal Fusion.

8. Member
    One of my step sons is a USMC veteran (I was USAF and never spent much time with small arms). I was amazed that he cleaned his AR with a pull thru bore cleaner, a rag, some Q tips, and break free. He said that how they were trained, and the Marines know how to run an AR if anyone does.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

9. Member
    That is a nice looking weapon you got there. Enjoy.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Honest question. Are the comments on cleaning and jamming based on your personal experience or from what happened when the Army got the rifle in the 60s?
    Personal Expierence. I know the Vietnam era had the issues because of the powder or something along those lines. The ones we used while I was still in a few years ago, as well as my personal ones are what I based my impression off of. not saying they are horrible at it, but in my opinion, compared to the average firearm, i'd say they require above average cleaning or else they jam.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Many of the jamming issues seen now in AR's is caused by cheap ammo that fouls the action. I use cheap ammo to shoot, but I clean it thoroughly and load with premium ammo for hunting and home defense.

An AR would be my last choice for home defense...but that's just me.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    And always use brass ( no cheap steel case,varnish coated junk)
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hog power View Post
    And always use brass ( no cheap steel case,varnish coated junk)
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    That is a good looking AR have you shot it yet. If so how is the trigger?
    The trigger is awesome... One of the reasons I spent the extra for the Saint Edge instead of the Saint.

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Personal Expierence. I know the Vietnam era had the issues because of the powder or something along those lines. The ones we used while I was still in a few years ago, as well as my personal ones are what I based my impression off of. not saying they are horrible at it, but in my opinion, compared to the average firearm, i'd say they require above average cleaning or else they jam.

Not being argumentative but compared to what? How many rounds can you go before it jams. And let's just consider your personal weapons. Also, what kind of ammo are you using? My ARs are the only semi-auto rifles I have. Neither of them have had enough ammo to even be broken in, much less very dirty, so I am having no issue. I've got bolt guns and level guns but neither gets shot at the high rate the ARs would. So, I'd go through a lot more ammo with the AR pretty quickly. I shot more shotgun and I alway hear that the 1100 can't go as long between cleanings or it will jam. Well, I tried to test that theory and found I simply couldn't stand it any longer and cleaning. I had several hundred rounds through it. So, maybe it would have gotten dirty and jammed sooner than a Beretta but it would have been far longer than I can go between cleanings.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Not being argumentative but compared to what? How many rounds can you go before it jams. And let's just consider your personal weapons. Also, what kind of ammo are you using? My ARs are the only semi-auto rifles I have. Neither of them have had enough ammo to even be broken in, much less very dirty, so I am having no issue. I've got bolt guns and level guns but neither gets shot at the high rate the ARs would. So, I'd go through a lot more ammo with the AR pretty quickly. I shot more shotgun and I alway hear that the 1100 can't go as long between cleanings or it will jam. Well, I tried to test that theory and found I simply couldn't stand it any longer and cleaning. I had several hundred rounds through it. So, maybe it would have gotten dirty and jammed sooner than a Beretta but it would have been far longer than I can go between cleanings.
    Compared to other various semi pistols, rifles, and shotguns I've fired. I used mine as a hiking/truck gun in southern Arizona and after a while it'd start jamming pretty good after the occasional mag here and then without a good cleaning. I used a 1911 and cetme for the same purpose and didn't clean then much either. No gun is immune to jams when you neglect regular cleaning, but I always had issues with my AR well before the others. I had a 300blk AR i'd carry instead at times, but I was better at keeping that one clean so I didn't have any issues.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO