would like to find a compatible mustad blk nkl ultra point hook to

the mustad 32755BR

I would like to use it for the do it ned head mold.
    Question everything!

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    You want a bronze hook? What size are you looking for? Based on the hook you listed as reference I'm assuming you want it to be a light wire hook, is that correct?

4. Member
    Ned-Rig Light wire hook,,, Owner 5318 or VMC 9147, both are BN.. Bet you would prefer a black nickel, it wont rust and the point wont roll over as easy. . The Owner I have broke a few hooks when removing from cats mouths. Barb and point stayed in the mouth. Ive never had any issues with the VMC. Both are sweet little hooks, and you wont find a better crappie jig hook.. We have landed cats up to 40#s on these hooks and never straightened out.

5. Member
    I want the blk nkl. in size 1 and a light wire. The Owner does not really interest me due to its cost.
    I have been using the Sohumi blk nkl hook from Barlows and it is plenty sharp but I've actually broken a few eyes clearing paint out of them and that worries me a bit.

Is the VMC 9147 a needle point?
    Last edited by earthworm77; 03-04-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    Question everything!

6. Member
    Yes fine wire with a needle point. Sharp little cuss, and Ive never had a point roll over. . Size #1 is what I use for crappie jigs. Never had any problems with vmc breaking.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    I want the blk nkl. in size 1 and a light wire. The Owner does not really interest me due to its cost.
    I have been using the Sohumi blk nkl hook from Barlows and it is plenty sharp but I've actually broken a few eyes clearing paint out of them and that worries me a bit.

Is the VMC 9147 a needle point?
    In a size #1 I think you should look at the EC 570 Black Platinum. I know a lot of guys don't like Eagle Claw but the black platinum series is for real, those hooks rival Mustad and at a better price. I've tied hair jigs on heads I poured with that hook and half way through the tie I'd see blood drops on my bench and only then realized I was nicked as I felt nothing, and the wire is better than on the regular bronze 570s.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    In a size #1 I think you should look at the EC 570 Black Platinum. I know a lot of guys don't like Eagle Claw but the black platinum series is for real, those hooks rival Mustad and at a better price. I've tied hair jigs on heads I poured with that hook and half way through the tie I'd see blood drops on my bench and only then realized I was nicked as I felt nothing, and the wire is better than on the regular bronze 570s.
    Are those the ones that look like the Matzou sickle hook or are the standard looking 570's with a black finish and needle point?

edit, I found them and will give them a shot.
    Question everything!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    Are those the ones that look like the Matzou sickle hook or are the standard looking 570's with a black finish and needle point?

edit, I found them and will give them a shot.
    The ones that look like the Matzuo sickle are the 500BP, those work well too. The 570 BP are round bend hooks and look like the standard 570 with a black finish and a needle point. The VMC 9147 is a very good hook as well just harder to source in the black nickel but Janns Netcraft carries them.

10. Member
    For the money it is hard to beat the Eagle Claw 570BP hooks. Eagle Claw has come a long way over the last few years with their hooks. To me the Mustad quality has gone down.

11. Member
    I ordered 400 of the EC 570BP's.

Thanks for the advice guys
    Question everything!

I'm waiting for Eagle Claw to make a copy of the Mustad 91768. in a BP

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I'm waiting for Eagle Claw to make a copy of the Mustad 91768. in a BP

^^^^ X2!!!!!!