PORTAGE LAKES OPEN 4/7/2018

TBX will be having a (ICE OUT) open.....April 7th, 7am-3pm at Portage lakes. We will be using the new state park ramp off rt93. Entry is 85.00 per boat, includes big bass. First place is 1500.00. This lake is one of the top early season lakes in Ohio. Flyers are available at Fisherman central, or go to our web site... www.teambassxtreme.com You can also pay at the ramp 5.00 extra fee. Come on out and start off your season with us........ more info 330-760-one820 Mike

2. Member
    Only 1 more week. If you plan to pay at the ramp. please bring cash only, 90.00. Fishing is getting better everyday. If you can, have your form filled out, saves time in the line. Thanks....see ya Saturday.

3. Member
    Portage open is still on. 39, light wind, on a no wake lake. Big bags come rhis time of year. 90.00 day of event. Come on out......7-3 new state park off rt 93

4. Member
    Weights?

I heard it took @ 16 pounds.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSINONE View Post
    Portage open is still on. 39, light wind, on a no wake lake. Big bags come rhis time of year. 90.00 day of event. Come on out......7-3 new state park off rt 93
    Never been there, Thinking about going this year. Is it a no wake lake?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    Never been there, Thinking about going this year. Is it a no wake lake?
    Ya with the exception of 2 speed zones that have certain times for skiing, sailing and just going around in circles.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I heard it took @ 16 pounds.
    Results on OGF. 6.82 big fish

9. Member
    16.88 was first, with a 6.82 big. The scale is in tenths, so big would be a 6lb13oz tank. 29 boats. winners also had a 5lb14oz fish. 5 or 6 fish over 5 lb weighed in.

10. Member
    Where are the spots to go and what techniques are they using this time of year? I went out a few weeks ago on Turkeyfoot and got skunked. Mainly fished deep structure.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy7 View Post
    Where are the spots to go and what techniques are they using this time of year? I went out a few weeks ago on Turkeyfoot and got skunked. Mainly fished deep structure.
    High dollar suspending jerkbaits and jigs. That is the way Portage Lakes fishes this time of the year. After the next few days of 70's the umbrella rigs and rattle traps will also come into play.
    Ohio Bass Fishing with Edgar VanHoose
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgarVanHoose

12. Member
    Thanks Edgar.. I did try dragging a jig around deep structure and depth changes around points, mostly between the main lake before you get to mud lake. I did have a jerkbait tied on but didn’t try it as most of the fish I was seeing on my graphs were deep. I just started fishing there last year and have had success fishing docks in mud lake and in the south west end of turkeyfoot. Would love to learn more spots and catch them deeper, thanks for the advice and I’m always open for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy7 View Post
    Thanks Edgar.. I did try dragging a jig around deep structure and depth changes around points, mostly between the main lake before you get to mud lake. I did have a jerkbait tied on but didn’t try it as most of the fish I was seeing on my graphs were deep. I just started fishing there last year and have had success fishing docks in mud lake and in the south west end of turkeyfoot. Would love to learn more spots and catch them deeper, thanks for the advice and I’m always open for the help.
    Sent you a PM..
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles