Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2017 Z18 Will Not Get on Plane for 5-8 secs

No idea what is wrong w/ her. 1/2 tank of gas, full live well, 200 pound boater and 190 pound Co-Angler. 150 4stroke and before you say, "there's your problem" my buddy has a four stroke on his Z6 (whatever the old version of the current Z17 is) and gets up quicker than me. A buddy of mine has been talking to me about getting a 4 prop instead of the 3 FURY I have. Problem is, I don't want to spend 400-500 on a prop that won't solve the problem. Especially when my FURY is spotless. I've had the boat up to 61 mph GPS but I rarely push it over 50 mph. I mention that bc I don't mind losing 2-5 mph if it's gonna get me up quicker. Thoughts or tips?

Have you tried raising the motor?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

3. Member
    Yes, I have a hydraulic jackplate and it usually runs best at 4-4.5". That's where I have it while having these problems.

I had a very similar problem with my boat (yes, I know its not a Nitro) but the first thing that improved my hole-shot was raising the motor with my jackplate (manual). The next thing that significantly helped was playing with the PVS plugs. I ordered an entire set of all the different sizes (only cost about $6 total). My prop came with the large plugs installed, since I knew what performance I was already getting with them, I installed the next size smaller and made several runs and timed the hole-shots. Then I switched the plugs to the next size smaller plugs and did the whole thing again. Repeated this process for every set/size plugs. In the end, for my particular case I had significant improvement by using the smallest hole plug. I found it hard to believe that such a simple thing could have that much difference in the performance of my hole-shot but it did. Have you experimented with the PVS plugs?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. Member
    My old Z18 had a great holeshot, no matter how I loaded it, and my boat was loaded HEAVY. I had a 175 Pro XS, but the 150 4S should have plenty of torque. For hole shot I always ran my Atlas JP all the way down and tucked the trim all the way under, and would bring it back up and out as the boat planed out. Boat would jump up on plane with ease. Even loaded down I was still running out to 63-64 GPS MPH with a 24P tempest plus with small hole PVS plugs.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

6. Member
    I have the best hole-shot at about 4.5" on the backplate. I've tried 5-6 and it worse and I've tried 2-4 and it's even slower. I've tried the plugs and I think I still have some laying around. My prop has 3 holes and I used one of the medium sized plugs. It was noticeably worse to the point that I grabbed a screwdriver, trimmed the motor up and immediately popped it out. I've got a post on here from 1.5 yrs ago titled "Need help with Jackplate" and a bunch of guys on there were telling me that the 3 prop Fury I have should not be on my boat. I told them that it was the stock prop that came w/ my Z18 but a couple people echoed that it was not the right prop. Do you know anything about4 props getting a better hole-shot than 3? At this point, I'm ok with spending $500 if it's gonna work. I could sell my Fury pretty easy bc it's spotless.

7. Member
    How many plugs? I put one in and it was significantly worse. I'll be honest, I've never put the jackplate all the way down and trimmed all the way down bc everything I've read says the opposite. I'll give that a try this weekend. That would be an easy fix.

Two things, first absolutely the motor needs to be trimmed all the way in and down on dropping the hammer for the best hole-shot. Once up on plane then trim up to pad. Second, while I have no first hand knowledge of the 4 blade prop, I have to say that numerous folks have told me that the 4 blade is the way to go for the best hole-shot. I have been planning my Z18 purchase for the last few years now, I’m always following what is happening from year to year so I know what to expect when hopefully later this year I can finally take delivery of my own Z18. My intention is to go with the 175 Optimax.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    Sorry, I re-read that and should have been more clear. Motor is always trimmed all the way down but I haven't tried what TX said and had the jackplate AND motor trimmed all the way down. I have the jackplate at 4' or higher every time. If our timing was only a year later, I could have given you a great deal on mine. Garage kept since day one and all the lakes around here other than 1, are no wake. I think I'm gonna go w/ a 4 blade and hope this issue is behind me.

Oh man I wish our timing was better. Well anyway please keep me posted if the the 4 prop fix’s the issue. Tight lines!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rludeman44 View Post
    No idea what is wrong w/ her. 1/2 tank of gas, full live well, 200 pound boater and 190 pound Co-Angler. 150 4stroke and before you say, "there's your problem" my buddy has a four stroke on his Z6 (whatever the old version of the current Z17 is) and gets up quicker than me. A buddy of mine has been talking to me about getting a 4 prop instead of the 3 FURY I have. Problem is, I don't want to spend 400-500 on a prop that won't solve the problem. Especially when my FURY is spotless. I've had the boat up to 61 mph GPS but I rarely push it over 50 mph. I mention that bc I don't mind losing 2-5 mph if it's gonna get me up quicker. Thoughts or tips?
    So it's been like this from new?
    How many RPM's is it turning when getting on plane?

12. Member
    What pitch prop? and the fury isn't the best prop for that motor. I'd suggest a 22-23 pitch tempest.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I would remove all the vent plugs and try it with all the holes wide open and see what happens. After that another option is set jack-plate so the prop to pad is 3.5". I can post a picture with simple instructions on how to measure prop to pad if you don't know how. Anyways raising it higher will allow it to spin up faster on hole-shot, however too high and the prop will blow out on break-over and motor will not not have enough water pressure when running up on pad. If removing all the plugs has too much ventilation then add one back. Too much venting and it will blow out on break-over. Right now you have too much resistance. By adding ventilation and raising the motor you decrease resistance allowing it to build rpm's quicker. But also remember too little resistance and it builds rpm too fast and will lose bite. You have to find the "sweet spot"

14. Member
    Huge advancements made today. First of all, thanks for the help everyone: I called the dealer today and told them everything I've read says a 3 Blade fury is for "outboards 200 HP and over" and not for a 150 four stroke. The service guy said, a tempest 14/22 is supposed to be the stock prop on that boat. He said, "let me do some digging and I'll call you back". In the meantime, I called Nitro again and got a lady that knew what she was doing this time (Sandy). She took the serial number I gave her and said, "Please have the dealer you ordered it through call us and we will get this resolved ASAP for you" and I said, "So it's the wrong prop for sure" and after a good 3-5 sec pause, she said, "yes sir, it's the wrong prop".

Here's where it gets weird, I call the dealer back and tell the service guy what Nitro said and he tells me, "well, hold on now. That was the right prop when your boat was built. You had one of the first round of 2017's they built in 2016 and they specs for the boat were just copies of the Z8 (I'm pretty sure he said Z8) and that boat came stock w/ the Fury."

I said, "The lady at Nitro said it's 100% wrong and I should have a 22 pitch tempest and to just have you guy call them and do a warranty swap"

After that, the service guy said, "Well, you'd have to call back to talk to the shop foreman and he's not here today. He'll be in tomorrow and I think you should see what he has to say but he'll get you squared away..."

Nitro just said, we messed up and have them push it through as a warranty swap but the dealer is telling me "lets talk about it tomorrow"? Just got a weird vibe from that phone call but I'll know more tomorrow. If a 22 Tempest is what I should have and I have a 24 pitch 3 blade Fury, from what I've read here and on the mercury page, that's a huge difference in prop. Sorry if this seems like commons sense to you guys but I came from a 75 HP tracker 175 prior to the Nitro.

15. Member
    Unless they changed them after 2014, it was Tempest Plus 25P on the Z8s (200hp motor).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Unless they changed them after 2014, it was Tempest Plus 25P on the Z8s (200hp motor).
    Don't remember if he said Z8 or Z7 but either way, Nitro saying I shouldn't have this prop makes me 50% happy and 50% furious.

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Yes they did change them but it was only the horsepower rating...The early versions of the Z8's were rated for 200 HP and the latter versions were only rated for 175 HP. They have the EXACt same hull. The lower HP rating was done to sell boats at a more affordable price. There was a noticeable price difference between a Z7 with a 200 versus a 175, 150. When they changed the name to Z18 the hull stayed the same and they also kept the 175 HP rating. I would think a 24 or 25 Tempest with the 200 pending load and a 22 or 23 tempest with a 150 pending load. If the boat is in a mountain range with high ground elevation then definitely the lower pitch because altitude robs HP so the lower pitch is needed.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Z7 and Z18 are equal. A Z8 is not similar to either.

Lets get this back on track u have a z18, a 22p or 23 p tempest should be the right prop.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    My friend had a 2015 Ranger Z118c with a Merc 150 4 stroke. May be comparing apples to oranges but it had a 4 blade prop that I think was a 22 inch pitch and it would jump on plane. It would run 55-56 with a full load. He is no longer with us and the boat is gone or I would check on it.

Another thing I did with my Z118 Ranger with a 150 Pro XS was add a Chris Bailey foil and a hole shot plate to the bottom of my 8 inch Slidemaster jack plate to keep water from coming up it when taking off. Chris has been really active on the Ranger forum and his foil is the real deal. Made a huge difference in my hole shot and it would stay on plane around 20 mph. It is not your grandpa's foil and looks really good. Not sure I will need or want one for my Z19 until I get to run it.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

20. Member
    My Z8 came with a 24p Fury from the dealer.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast