Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If I am not mistaken a Four stroke like you have should have the holes plugged.

The reason is the four strokes have a wide torque band down low in RPM all the way up.

Two stokes need the slip provided by the PVS vents to get into the powerband, typically on a 2stoke you want slip to about 3500rpm on holeshot.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Z7 and Z18 are equal. A Z8 is not similar to either.

Lets get this back on track u have a z18, a 22p or 23 p tempest should be the right prop.
    14 + 5/8 22p tempest is what comes on a 2018 4stroke 150 at this moment. That's what Nitro wants the Dealer to get from them on a warranty swap but the dealer hasn't set that in motion and told me, "We'll get back to you by the end of the day and get you all set". Told me that twice today with no call back. I'm not sure what they have to lose here. Look up the 3 blade fury on mercury's site and it says "for outboard tournament bass boats 200 HP and up". Tempest Plus says for Bass boats and tournament bass boats 135 hp and up".

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    If I am not mistaken a Four stroke like you have should have the holes plugged.

The reason is the four strokes have a wide torque band down low in RPM all the way up.

Two stokes need the slip provided by the PVS vents to get into the powerband, typically on a 2stoke you want slip to about 3500rpm on holeshot.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    I bought some plugs bc my prop did not come w/ any or I wasn't given any. It was on the boat already and no plugs on it. I installed the mid size plug in one hole and it was a good 2 seconds worse than no plugs, So I never messed w/ it again. You think it needs all 4 plugged?

The service guy I talked to the last time at the dealer said a 24P fury for an 18 ft 150 4 stroke seems like too much prop and the 22 pitch would get up quicker and handle a lot better. I'm hoping he's right and I'm hoping it's solved before we get to the meat of tournament season.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rludeman44 View Post
    I bought some plugs bc my prop did not come w/ any or I wasn't given any. It was on the boat already and no plugs on it. I installed the mid size plug in one hole and it was a good 2 seconds worse than no plugs, So I never messed w/ it again. You think it needs all 4 plugged?

The service guy I talked to the last time at the dealer said a 24P fury for an 18 ft 150 4 stroke seems like too much prop and the 22 pitch would get up quicker and handle a lot better. I'm hoping he's right and I'm hoping it's solved before we get to the meat of tournament season.
    IMO a 23p or 24p tempest plus would be the best prop. If your after better holeshot the 23p would be the way to go.

As far as Prop PVS plugs, the reason I mention no plugs is from the Yamaha 4 stroke forum on there discussion of the SHO. I guess I would not hurt to try though.

What is your MAX RPM you turn at you fastest GPS speed?

If you cannot get close to the MAX RPM rating of the engine, you can do a couple things.
    Raise the engine while maintain at least 15psi water pressure. Typically I see post of 3.5inches Prop shaft to Pad, but depends on setback.
    If that does not get you there, drop in pitch (one pitch size is roughly +/-300rpm typical) or have the prop worked to get close to max RPM.

Engine height can make a big difference, I have an 18foot nitro with 150 2stroke. raising the engine .5 of an inch I went from OK holeshot and 58mph too great holeshot and 63mph. In addition I have less chine walk.

I have the best hole-shot at about 4.5" on the backplate. I've tried 5-6 and it worse and I've tried 2-4 and it's even slower. I've tried the plugs and I think I still have some laying around. My prop has 3 holes and I used one of the medium sized plugs. It was noticeably worse to the point that I grabbed a screwdriver, trimmed the motor up and immediately popped it out. I've got a post on here from 1.5 yrs ago titled "Need help with Jackplate" and a bunch of guys on there were telling me that the 3 prop Fury I have should not be on my boat. I told them that it was the stock prop that came w/ my Z18 but a couple people echoed that it was not the right prop. Do you know anything about4 props getting a better hole-shot than 3? At this point, I'm ok with spending $500 if it's gonna work. I could sell my Fury pretty easy bc it's spotless.
    Raising your Motor wont help on Hole shot... With two big ole boys and gear 1/2 tank of fuel,talon and a 10" Hydraulic jack plate I get up in 3-4 seconds with my croxtonized 23p Tempest Virtually the same boat you have with 1 pvs plug out. Now if I put on my 22 Bravo FS on my Z7s leaps out of the water but I loose 3-5 MPH . I tried a 23 fury and Couldn't plane out at all.. do you have heavy gear up front?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Raising your Motor wont help on Hole shot... With two big ole boys and gear 1/2 tank of fuel,talon and a 10" Hydraulic jack plate I get up in 3-4 seconds with my croxtonized 23p Tempest Virtually the same boat you have with 1 pvs plug out. Now if I put on my 22 Bravo FS on my Z7s leaps out of the water but I loose 3-5 MPH . I tried a 23 fury and Couldn't plane out at all.. do you have heavy gear up front?
    I am not concerned at all with losing some mph. I've got my boat to 63 mph before and have no need for it. She handled fine, I just have no real need to be north of 50-55 mph, which is where I usually keep her at. It's usually around 5400 rpm at 50-55 and mercury says max rpm of 5800 for my motor. So you're thinking the 22P tempest is gonna definitely make a difference for the better, other than losing 1-3 mph? Dealer called me today and said they talked to Nitro and it's ordered and should be in early next week.

Edit: Missed the last part. No heavy gear I can think of but 15 rod n reels in rod locker and all my lifejackets, dog bed, net and push pole in the starboard rod locker w/ tackle in the tackle storage. I'm thinking that's about the norm but not sure.
    Last edited by Rludeman44; 03-07-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: missed last question

7. Member
    @Rludeman44

Did you receive your Tempest prop from Nitro, and if so, what pitch was the Tempest sent (22 or 23) and how were your results? Curious too what JP setting you found to be best for that hole shot you were looking for with your Z18.
    2018 Nitro Z-18
    Mercury 150 w/ 8" Slidemaster JP
    Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv units
    MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    Hydrowave

Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedsmaht View Post
    @Rludeman44

Did you receive your Tempest prop from Nitro, and if so, what pitch was the Tempest sent (22 or 23) and how were your results? Curious too what JP setting you found to be best for that hole shot you were looking for with your Z18.

I haven't received it yet bc it's on backorder until mid apr. The dealer is gonna grab a 21p prop off a floor model and let me try that while I wait for the 22p. The guy told me the 21p would get me on plane "like a raped ape" but top out at 55-57. I'm totally fine w/ that but I'm worried that I'll really have to keep an eye on RPMs w/ that 21p. The 22p sounds like the right prop for me but I won't know until mid my. I'm going to get them to switch out props tomorrow morning and I'll message back on here after our tourney Saturday w/ my report on that 21p.

9. Member
    Thanks and best of luck to you in the tourney too!

10. Member
    Here are my findings from one tournament day w/ the 21P Tempest Plus:

Windy day 12-20 mph (about normal for Oklahoma)

50-63 degrees from 1130-1930 local time

Boat planed out in about 2-3 secs even the few times at the end of the day in pretty decent chop. Had the hyd Jackplate at 5", with motor trimmed all the way down for best results.

Boat maxed out at about 51-52 mph 50% trimmed and jackplate at 5 w/ 15 water pressure at around 5700 RPM (5800 is max RPM for my 150 Fourstroke). That is 10-12 mph lower than I could hit w/ the 24P Fury (really bad).

Dealer said I could keep it for now and when the 22P comes in, they would switch it. According to their shop foreman (mercury certified), he thinks the 22P will bump that over 55 mph and not effect the hole-shot enough for me to notice. He said after I get the 22P on, I can tinker w/ the plugs (which I know nothing about).

Long story short, I'm gonna get the 22P Tempest when it comes in and stick with that unless it provides a bigger issue. The 52 max mph at almost max RPM w/ the 21P is not gonna work.
    Last edited by Rludeman44; 03-19-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: hyd

11. Member
    Thanks for the update! Hopefully you scored big with the fish and won that tourney

Reason for my interest is I bought the same setup and right now it is in rigging and having the electronics installed. Should have it by next weekend. I went with the manual 8" slidemaster JP and a 23p Tempest in hopes it will only require some slight adjustments to the JP to find the sweet spot.
    2018 Nitro Z-18
    MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    Hydrowave

12. Member
    Following also!! Thanks !!! 2017 Nitro Z18 150 4s no j/p 24p Fury that came on it. 10 sec holeshot full livewell 1/2 tank of gas and 2 big dudes. 5200 rpm . Looked at a Ranger Z185 w/150 4s no j/p at the Classic it had a Tempest 22p on it. Thinking a 22p is what I need to try also. Love the boat if I can just get it worked out. Wife bought it for my 52nd birthday at BPS in Tennessee,we live in upstate SC, hate to tow it back up there!!! Hoping Nitro dealer here can help me with it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by horsemule View Post
    Following also!! Thanks !!! 2017 Nitro Z18 150 4s no j/p 24p Fury that came on it. 10 sec holeshot full livewell 1/2 tank of gas and 2 big dudes. 5200 rpm . Looked at a Ranger Z185 w/150 4s no j/p at the Classic it had a Tempest 22p on it. Thinking a 22p is what I need to try also. Love the boat if I can just get it worked out. Wife bought it for my 52nd birthday at BPS in Tennessee,we live in upstate SC, hate to tow it back up there!!! Hoping Nitro dealer here can help me with it.
    If they give you any problems, just call Nitro direct and ask for Sandy. She's the one that told me that the Fury was the wrong prop. She said all the early 2017 Z18's that were built in 16 had the Fury factory installed by accident. I think the 22P Tempest is going to be the right setup. You're gonna love the Z18, tons of storage and plenty of speed for non-pro series tournaments. I may be moving back to Charleston, SC soon and if I do, I'll be sad to see her go.

14. Member
    No idea what is wrong w/ her. 1/2 tank of gas, full live well, 200 pound boater and 190 pound Co-Angler. 150 4stroke and before you say, "there's your problem" my buddy has a four stroke on his Z6 (whatever the old version of the current Z17 is) and gets up quicker than me. A buddy of mine has been talking to me about getting a 4 prop instead of the 3 FURY I have. Problem is, I don't want to spend 400-500 on a prop that won't solve the problem. Especially when my FURY is spotless. I've had the boat up to 61 mph GPS but I rarely push it over 50 mph. I mention that bc I don't mind losing 2-5 mph if it's gonna get me up quicker. Thoughts or tips?
    Get rid of the Fury its way to much prop for a 150 get a 23P Tempest. Second prolly have to raise the motor mine came from the factory 4.5 inchs under the pad I raised my motor 2 inchs somewhere around 2.5 under the pad.

15. Member
    Finally picking up my Z18 on Wednesday - just waiting for them to put all my Garmin electronics on. Ordered it in Dec with the 8" Slidemaster JP and a 23p Tempest prop, plus I requested they set me mine to 2.5" under pad to start. Glad they didn't hit me with an additional charge for the Tempest prop but I was a bit surprised to hear it would have came with a Fury. I'm with you Tas, the Fury is way too much prop for the 150. Interested to know how the 22p Tempest works out for you Rludeman
    2018 Nitro Z-18
    MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    Hydrowave

16. Member
    The Z18 hull is a totally different design than the Z7. There is a bulletin release from Nitro about a number of Z18/150 four strokes that were rigged with Fury props.
    It was a mistake and dealers have instructions as to getting the correct prop. Sandy absolutely knows what she's talking about.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tas1498 View Post
    Get rid of the Fury its way to much prop for a 150 get a 23P Tempest. Second prolly have to raise the motor mine came from the factory 4.5 inchs under the pad I raised my motor 2 inchs somewhere around 2.5 under the pad.

The Fury was way too much. I have a hydraulic Atlas Jackplate on my boat and messed around w/ it a lot. I've found having it between 4-5" on the Hyd JP gets me the best holeshot, depending on the conditions.

18. Member
    I have 23p Tempest, 60 plus mph on gps & 4 second hole shots, 8" Slidemaster was at 3.5' ptp, set it now atv3" but still have ice here, it came with large plugs & haven't tried out sizes

19. Member
    Dealer swapped the 24p Fury to a 22p Tempest Saturday said thats what it calls for with no j/p. cant wait to try it out next w/e!!!

20. Member
    I got the new boat out on the water for the 1st time yesterday and everything went very well. The initial setup for the motor at 2.5" below pad with the 23p Tempest worked great as she jumped up on plane in about 3.5 seconds. Going to leave it there for a bit while I complete the break-in of the outboard and spend some time setting up the new Garmin's and redoing all of my maps. Let the fun begin!
    2018 Nitro Z-18
    MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    Hydrowave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast