Thread: 250xs info

250xs info

First post so here goes. Looking at boat with twin 2004 XS 250 with 160 hrs on them. serial #'s 0T818292 and 294. 3.0 L. Max RPM 5800 at 517 lbs. A few questions I have is non ethanol gas sufficient for this motor? Is non eth 89 octane? What about maintanence does it need a lower unit oil change every 50 hrs? 50-1 oil ratio?. I have been researching what I need to do if I move ahead with the purchase. Any advise is much appreciated. Or should I sell the pair and put towards re power? Would love to get a few years out of them or is that year motor in demand? Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    Lots of info in the Frequently asked and used questions in the stickies at the top of the forum page pertaining to your motor.

The motor is oil injected no oil is mixed with the gas.
    Ethanol or no ethanol is fine.

3. Member
    The 2004 250 XS manual shows 91 octane is required. That changed with 2005 or 2006 models. If you can get ethanol free gas it is better, just costs more. Bought some last week for 3.02 a gallon.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Lots of info in the Frequently asked and used questions in the stickies at the top of the forum page pertaining to your motor.

The motor is oil injected no oil is mixed with the gas.
    Ethanol or no ethanol is fine.
    +1.

Here are a couple relevant posts from the FAQ at top of forum:

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks for the support regarding these motors. If I am lucky enough to own the sled with twin 250xs in the near future I will follow the recommendations on this site. Those motors are a little intimidating compared to 4 stroke engine which only require fuel and oil. It might require a different maintanence perspective.

6. Member
    Who knows what they weigh? Everywhere I look gives a different weight. For now I'm going with the service manual listed weight of 445# dry and without prop, until I can get mine weighed.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

7. Member
    Depends on the year....a little over 500 lbs.