Lake Cumberland Water Conditions

Heard through the grapevine it is chocolate milk from Burnside to Jamestown. Anybody been out there this week?

2. Member
    I drove by burnside— has nice deep stain but problem is— it’s freaking huge— those fish have gained extra 20 k acres or more likely ast 3 weeks

Put in at the dam today and it was pretty stained. About as stained as I've ever seen the entire main lake. Problem is it's cooled off too. Had five bites and caught four of them.
    2014 Nitro Z7 150 Pro XS

Put in at dam, It looked like a completely different lake. Mouth of Indian and back to the mouths of the forks was trashy and yoohoo colored. Hell, even main lake was dirty. It was quite unreal to see Cumberland like that. Agree with previous poster, water was cold. I saw 48-50 in Indian. I thought going down I was going to see mid 50s...

dont know about bout anyone else but ready to put the finesse poles away for a while.
    Hook sets are free

5. Member
    Wonder if it will clear up throughout the week. Was hoping for a jerkbait bite. Oh well.

6. Member
    Looks like army corp doing minimal pulling on the 3 day schedule

7. Member
    Looked like there was a tournament that launched from the dam on Sunday (3-4). Does anyone know what it took to win.

8. Member

9. Member
    Sounds like somebody found em. I can’t figure out why they aren’t pulling it down any faster than they are. More rain on the way and all.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe372V View Post
    Sounds like somebody found em. I can’t figure out why they aren’t pulling it down any faster than they are. More rain on the way and all.
    Maybe downstream flooding.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe372V View Post
    The Ohio River recently had some major flooding in the Louisville area. It will take that water a few days to get past western KY where the Cumberland River dumps into the Ohio. Once the Ohio gets settled down they will start dumping everything in the Cumberland River system. There is multiple lakes/locks/dams between where the water leaves Lake Cumberland dam and it dumps into the Ohio. They also have high water so it's a tremendous amount of water waiting to be released onto the Ohio and then it impacts the Mississippi river.

The lakes were built for flood control and right now they are doing exactly what they were designed to do...hold water until downstream can handle more water. As fishermen it sucks to see the water conditions like they are but in reality it is saving millions of dollars in flooding.

I think it will be soon when they will be able to pull enough water to lower all the lakes in KY that dump into the Ohio and Mississippi. I noticed in the Green River watershed they have predicted to to open the gates a small amount on Nolin and Barren 3/6. The Green River watershed dumps into the Ohio just like the Cumberland watershed so if they're going to pull a small amount down the Green River watershed it won't be long until they do the same with the Cumberland watershed...of course mother nature has the final say because if we get more significant rain they can not pull water onto something that is already flooded.

This is the long version of what Rude196 said

12. Member
    Anybody with a new Cumberland update? I'm hoping to get down there in the next week. Don't really know what to expect.

13. Member
    Upper end clearing slightly- good stain; fished pitman last tues and was awesome green so fishable with creeks clearing ; corps dropping lake but the fronts we got coming look ruff