2. Member
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Member
    Cool!

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

4. Member
    Looks great. Time will tell if they can live up to the original XX products. I sure hope they do.

5. Member
    Just ordered the jerk bait special. I wish it was shorter but I’ll try it. It looks nearly identical to my orochi xxx though

Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    Just ordered the jerk bait special. I wish it was shorter but I’ll try it. It looks nearly identical to my orochi xxx though
    Lots of differences actually and there will be more pictures coming shortly to show them. The graphics were done to tie in the Orochi lineup between the various offerings in that lineup. Once you get the new rod you will see the differences.

7. Member
    Don’t blame you for wishing it was shorter. The original JBS at 6’8 is almost perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Don’t blame you for wishing it was shorter. The original JBS at 6’8 is almost perfect for me.
    The changes in lengths etc came from suggestions and requests from customers, staff etc. I know a ton of testing has happened in the past 18 months or so and in the end I wish a model would fit 100% of the customers but thats a tall order as everyone is different in regards to preferences. Hopefully you guys will still give one atry and see what you think.

They are up for pre-order at The Tackle Trap. The thread in the "rods for sale" section has a bunch of really nice high resolution photos if you guys want to check them out.

2018 Megabass XX Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    They are up for pre-order at The Tackle Trap. The thread in the "rods for sale" section has a bunch of really nice high resolution photos if you guys want to check them out.

2018 Megabass XX Rods

Wanted to touch on this subject a bit more now that I have time. I answered a question on TT and rather than rewrite it all again i simply am pasting it here.

You are correct in that both series share the Kabt X47 material but please understand that each blank in the XX series was designed from scratch. They may share the processes etc that the XXX rods have when the blanks are being manufactured but the XX blanks are their own beast so to speak. To get to the XX blank different weight of graphite and other materials are used. Much like cooking you have to create a recipe to get to the finished product. To get the results wanted those ingredients are adjusted.
    One example I'd like to point out is that people often forget the US Destroyers share the same material as the JDM Destroyer rods. You get various lineups sharing some of the same technology/materials within Megabass. That is done because a certain material proves itself and is felt to be an improvement over previous material used.
    As far as the visual aesthetics of the XX and the XXX rods similarities that was done purposefully to create generational consistency across the two Orochi series. When these rods are compared against one another you will see some color differences and such but at the same time Megabass wanted bring both series within the same family.

The time and thought put into the redesign was tremendous. You guys are seeing 18-24 months of planning, prototyping, testing and going back to the drawing board. Every detail was pored over. Small details like the shade of the butt cap insert color etc were all debated and changed. I cannot even begin to tell you the effort to get the larger details and componenets that it took. In the end everyone who has handled and fished the new generation XX rods have had positive impressions and feel that they are a true improvement. The looks are designed to be like nothing else on the market and grab your attention but the performance is what will really get people excited. I feel they will do both equally well.

I want to stress that I appreciate any and all questions, criticism and comments. That is how we learn and improve if needed. Being able to get real time feedback from Megabass fans is invaluable. Please do not stop asking the hard questions or voicing your opinions whether positive or not so positive. Megabass is proud of the new XX lineup and hopefully the anglers who use them will be as well.

12. Member
    Thanks for posting that Mark. I’m sure they’re totally different than the xxx, just thought they look like them. It’s not a bad thing for me. The bummer for me is the length. Hopefully I’ll adjust to it and like it more than a shorter rod. I know there’s plenty of people who fish a jerk bait with a longer rod like that. One thing for sure, it will drive the hooks home better than what I’m using now

13. Member
    Are they lighter than the Orochi XX? There were only a couple of things I didn’t like about the Orochi XX. They were a little on the heavy side and I prefer a hook keeper. Do the new models address those things?

14. Member
    Do you know what kind of handle/reel seat is on the F4.5-74XXS? Split or Full Grip? Reel seat like the old XX spinning rods had?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    Are they lighter than the Orochi XX? There were only a couple of things I didn’t like about the Orochi XX. They were a little on the heavy side and I prefer a hook keeper. Do the new models address those things?
    They are a little lighter than the previous generation, yes. There are no stock hook keepers on the casting rods, but there are on the spinning rods. There are good pictures on The Tackle Trap website, Facebook page, and Instagram site.

Quote Originally Posted by bpz520 View Post
    Do you know what kind of handle/reel seat is on the F4.5-74XXS? Split or Full Grip? Reel seat like the old XX spinning rods had?
    Photos of each rod are on the website. Here's a link to a photo (click for larger image) at the site. Full grip.

Megabass XX Enforcer

16. Member
    Thanks. Hopefully they didn't go too crazy on the rear Grip length. That's always the problem with those long spinning rods, manufacturers seem to put too long of a rear grip on them, and they're cumbersome to fish. Part of the reason they do that is for balance, but there are better ways of doing that (smaller stripper guides, etc). Do you know what the overall handle length on the F4.5-74XXS is?

Quote Originally Posted by bpz520 View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully they didn't go too crazy on the rear Grip length. That's always the problem with those long spinning rods, manufacturers seem to put too long of a rear grip on them, and they're cumbersome to fish. Part of the reason they do that is for balance, but there are better ways of doing that (smaller stripper guides, etc). Do you know what the overall handle length on the F4.5-74XXS is?

I will get that measurement for you. Give m e a day or two. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    Gary addressed it perfectly. They will be llighter overall but with the focus on improving balance points you will enjoy the way the rod feels in hand I think. Also the handle will be slightly smaller diameter with similarities in size to the US Destroyers.

I think you will be fine with. My son and I throw 110's a LOT. We use the JBS on those but we switched up to the Spec R for the Ito Shiner and the other larger baits its 7'2" and works great.
    FWIW you need to be throwing that Ito Shiner right now
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

20. Member
    The original PP also did great as a frog rod, will the new model also excel there too. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast