1998 Bass Tracker PT185 w/ 90HP

Hi all,

Getting a 98 185 this weekend and it currently has a "direct mount" 90HP merc on it I would like to know if people with single Talons feel its perfect or are two really needed? Two is not an option for this year as I am getting some new Humminbirds as well. Was not sure if I should have it mounted as close to the "center" on transom as possible (with safe and correct motor clearance) or just put it on port side "normal" position and hope for the best.
    I want to get the 12' Talon, and really think I will need the option of TILT for my garage and some local lakes/rivers with small/short bridges. Is a sandwich bracket then my only choice (so a marina would have to do the install as I am not pulling my 90HP off by myself).

Thank you all

one works just fine, just swings down wind unless you use the trolling motor to hold, i had no issues with a single on a 20.5' glass boat

i would mount it where it fits best, the little closer to middle wont gain or loose anything, dont over think it
    Last edited by Fishysam; 03-02-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If you went powerpole you could simply semi deploy to clear garage, or any small/ short bridges, simply double tap when clear and your good, no having to physically tilt...just saying as most people dont realize that as an option, they think of them as either fully down or fully up. Poles will also be alot less weight on your aluminum rig w a 90 horse motor.

I have only one 10' Talon on my PT18. so far no need for another. I have mine on the sandwich mount. went with Talon because I don't want to mess with the pumps, but both are great.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoucher12 View Post
    Hi all,

Getting a 98 185 this weekend and it currently has a "direct mount" 90HP merc on it I would like to know if people with single Talons feel its perfect or are two really needed? Two is not an option for this year as I am getting some new Humminbirds as well. Was not sure if I should have it mounted as close to the "center" on transom as possible (with safe and correct motor clearance) or just put it on port side "normal" position and hope for the best.
    I want to get the 12' Talon, and really think I will need the option of TILT for my garage and some local lakes/rivers with small/short bridges. Is a sandwich bracket then my only choice (so a marina would have to do the install as I am not pulling my 90HP off by myself).

Thank you all

I would suggest not adding a single Talon direct to transom as close to center line like you state... I would say its wise to add the Talon to a proper Talon Bracket. IF you ever decide to add a 2nd pole to the boat and have it mounted direct and close to center you will more than likely experience holding issue. Meaning the boat will still spin in a cross wind. The Talons need the width/footprint provided by the brackets to accomplish its holding Power in a cross wind. JMO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    I have only one 10' Talon on my PT18. so far no need for another. I have mine on the sandwich mount. went with Talon because I don't want to mess with the pumps, but both are great.
    Great. Thank you all for the feedback. I will ask Marina for cost to use the sandwich mount. . Do you happen to have any pictures of the PT185 with talon? Did you notice any slow down in speed (other than maybe lets call it 2-5mph)? not that I care, I am coming from a 25HP so a 90HP will be amazing...Thanks

Crestliner PT18, not a 185. the Talon was added when I ordered the boat so I don't know about any speed loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    Crestliner PT18, not a 185. the Talon was added when I ordered the boat so I don't know about any speed loss.
    Great Thanks, Sharp looking boat!