Banned

1987 Skeeter Starfire 175D restore

My father passed away back in 2010 and his boat sat in my sisters backyard ever since. I quit bass tournament fishing when he got cancer and couldnt do it anymore due to cancer. 7 yrs and few months later, i decieded to get back into fishing. I went out to see what the damage was.

Back in 2013, my sisters dog got loose and got into the boat. He ate the custom cover, ALL the seats, and the carpet. The boat sat from then till 3 months ago without a cover. The carpet was gone from the past three winters and the passenger side windshield was broke in 3 pieces.

This is where it begins...

So after testing all the electronics, i come to find out both depth finders are toast as well as the Motorguide Tour 67lb 24v trolling motor. So i went shopping for a trolling motor and depth finders. I searched craigslist and found a fortrex 112lb trust 36v in seattle for $600. So being in Boise, i went on a road trip and picked it up.

I work in North Dakota on the oil rigs so i went back to work. On the way home from a month long hitch, i stopped by Cabelas in Billings. I picked up a Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp G2 GPS DI and a Helix 7 Chirp G2 GPS DI. When i got home and realized how small the Helix 5 was, i took it back and got another Helix 7 Chirp G2 GPS DI.

Now that i bought a 36v trolling motor, i needed 4 new batteries. A buddy of mine works for Cat and told me about some bad ass marine batteries they have. I got 4 batteries for 25% off each one. Honestly the best damn batteries ive ever had in a boat. Fought 20 mph winds for three days straight without a charge and when i got home, they were still 3/4 charged.

So i took the old trolling motor off and figured id tackle an bass fishermans nightmare, oxidation. IT....WAS....THICK! I had to wet sand the whole boat with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500. I then hit it with a swirl removal and some hot sauce wax on the buffer.

I then got dirty and took out all the carpet. Luckly i had a mask on, there was some black mold going on. I sweep it up and then sanded all the old glue off. I then clean it with killz and got it go enough for new carpet. I figured id extend the deck to the consoles and built a new rod locker in front of the drivers side console. Also made a plano box holder that holds 8 boxes. I carpeted everything. Also, bought some new seats from Bassboatseats.com and installed them. Super comfy for $260!

So since that was all done, it needed new tires. Got a great deal on tires and had them mounted. Then came the motor. Had a buddy at a local boat shop go through the whole motor and $870 later, it was good as new. The old school skeeter decals were beat to hell so i updated them with the new logo.

Picked it up and went fishing for three days.

Playing around on the graphs. I found these to smallmouths on some structure. You can see them on the right side about a foot off bottom.

This was one of them....

Came home and since i froze my ass off on long runs, i needed to do something about windshields. So since the passenger windsheild was cracked to hell, i could either send the drivers one to mold and tint and spend $140 or make my own. So....i made my own.

I took a garbage bag and cut it to make it flat. Took dish soap and spread it all over the windshield that i have for the drivers side so that the garbage bag would stick to it and not move. Then i cut it carefully around all the edges with a razor. Then on the garbage bag, i marked where all my bends were that i would have to make. Took that layout, laid it on a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass and traced out. Then i cut it out with my jigsaw. Took a heat gun and heated up the bends where i had them marked and bent them all out.

All together took me 2 hrs.

Cost...
    $15 for a 36"x20" piece of plexiglass
    $2 for fine tooth jigsaw blade
    $8 for a can of spray tint.
    $5 for all new hardware with rubber garmets.

End results....

So now im jus waiting for a warm day to shoot a two tone metalflake on the trailer. This is what im shooting for. Mind you, it will have large silver flakes in the gray portion and large blue and silver flakes in the blue section of the trailer in the pic.

I am looking for ideas on color for the trailer so please give me some input.

Three months of hard work pays off!
    Last edited by JamesfromID; 03-01-2018 at 11:52 PM.

2. Member
    Great job buddy. I don't have much input on this but from your pictures that is a sweet ride. I'm fixing to start on a 95 basscat pantera classic hopefully I can be just as good as you when restoring my cat

3. Member
    Sorry about your dad. He'd be super proud of the great job you did on the boat. Many more years of memory making to come. Whatever colors you choose will look awesone.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duckco View Post
    Great job buddy. I don't have much input on this but from your pictures that is a sweet ride. I'm fixing to start on a 95 basscat pantera classic hopefully I can be just as good as you when restoring my cat
    Thank you. I jus takes time and patients. Ive been watching your post as well.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Sorry about your dad. He'd be super proud of the great job you did on the boat. Many more years of memory making to come. Whatever colors you choose will look awesone.
    Thank you. Im sure hes proud. I saw a boat out at the lake that came up on me while i was fishing asking who i bought the boat from since they knew my pops.

Same color scheme as mine. My trailer is navy though. You've done a great job! Are your seats fold down with storage underneath? I'm looking to do the same with mine, but need input from someone already done it.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Same color scheme as mine. My trailer is navy though. You've done a great job! Are your seats fold down with storage underneath? I'm looking to do the same with mine, but need input from someone already done it.
    No my fuel tank is under my seats.

8. Member
    Great job! Your dad is so proud and happy for you and the job you've done.

9. Banned
    I really appreciate that