Thread: FG knot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FG knot

Anyone use a FG?
    what size line ? Most post and you tube I see is big stuff.
    ive been trying to tie 30# 832 sufix to 8# seagauar invizX.
    seem to work but I’m afraid to fish it.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

I tried the FG knot. Went back to the much simpler to tie Uni to Uni as the FG proided no noticeable advantage for me.

3. Member
    You'll be fine with those lines, just test it really well before you throw it. If it slips after you've done your half hitches, you should retie because it might fail. Don't ask how I know this...

4. Member
    No problem with that setup. I use 20# braid to 8# flouro all the time. For me, particularly on baitcasting setups, the FG knot changed my perspective on braid.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Sure is hard to tie at least learn to tie. I keep getting all twisted and not laying flat. I also like how some are finishing with another knot. Forgot what it’s called. Makes it a bit more complicated but looks great. I’m going to keep trying it.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

6. Member
    I think it is usually called a rizzuto finish, but is basically an inside out uni knot. I use that instead of the half hitches because I have had the hitches come apart on me before. My way of tying it takes a minute or so, but a little setup to tie on the boat. I basically get 3 feet of braid out from the tip of the rod, put my leg over the rod tip and hold the braid tight with my teeth. Keeping the braid snug and ensuring the flouro is pulled tight between each loop is the key to making picture perfect knots.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    I used to use the Double Uni, now I swear by the FG. I had trouble with it at first until I watched these videos. Both have excellent points so pay close attention to every detail no matter how "seemingly" minute. Changed my game entirely with regards to number of breakoffs. With the Double Uni I used to have to tie 5-8 knots a day and that ate up a lot of time. I've never once broken the FG. I've screwed up the knot but the beauty of the FG is when you tie it right, it's as strong as iron. If you botch it, you will know before you even make a cast because it comes undone pretty easily if you don't tie it the way it's meant to be. Hope this helps!

8. Member
    Can't remember if this was in either of the video's or not but one of the if not the most important thing you can do to perfect this knot is after every 3 or 4 of the over under loops, tighten the knot. You can't over do this part. If you wait until the end to snug everything down sometimes you get a cross loop and it doesn't cinch down correctly. Tighten as you go and each loop sets itself in place and is as tight as it can get. Sorry if my explanation is not clear, it's a lot easier to see than to read about.

9. Member
    All I use now on braid to floro is the FG... I watched the two videos listed above and practiced until my fingers were sore.. Took some time and patients but once you get where you lay the wraps properly it's not coming apart.. Most important thing I learned was to take my time and tighten each wrap as I went.. Keeping everything tight while your tying is the biggest key to getting FG right.. No worries with the FG either with it cutting itself..

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Forgive me if I’m butting in, but lots and lots of people, including myself, use an Alberto knot (improved Albright) for attaching leaders to braid. There are no tricks required to get this knot to hold or tighten down properly, and it is among the highest-rated knots for strength. I find that practice makes it go much more quickly, and the key to quickness is knowing where to hold your fingers. I use that same setup a lot—20 or 30 pound braid to 8 pound Invisx—and can tie an Alberto in 20 seconds or less every time. Haven’t had a single knot failure in the 4 years I’ve been using it.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    Albright is awesome , just get to thick and catches the guides when you get into the higher lb test. Is the double uni a bad knot ?

12. Member
    As stated above. My biggest issue with the other knots is casting them though the guides. The tick just doesn’t sound good. Just looking for something thinner. So I’m trying something new. But I havnt tied many Albright knots either I’ll try some.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Albright is awesome , just get to thick and catches the guides when you get into the higher lb test. Is the double uni a bad knot ?
    Tried and true and absolutely no problems Pudd. Just me

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Forgive me if I’m butting in, but lots and lots of people, including myself, use an Alberto knot (improved Albright) for attaching leaders to braid. There are no tricks required to get this knot to hold or tighten down properly, and it is among the highest-rated knots for strength. I find that practice makes it go much more quickly, and the key to quickness is knowing where to hold your fingers. I use that same setup a lot—20 or 30 pound braid to 8 pound Invisx—and can tie an Alberto in 20 seconds or less every time. Haven’t had a single knot failure in the 4 years I’ve been using it.
    I've been an FG user for a while, but will be switching to the Alberto full time this season for basically exactly the reasons you've suggested above. Practiced it quite a lot while ice fishing this season and not a single failure. The FG I can tie and tie well, but all it takes is one mistake and it'll slip out, and there's a good chance it'll slip out when you're fishing, not when you're messing around in the garage. Not the case with the Alberto due to the way the line is doubled over itself. Also no issues with small diameter lines on the Alberto. Try tying a 4 lb leader on with an FG when panfishing or something. Your coils will mess up somewhere if you're not really careful.

Besides, even though the FG is slimmer, the Alberto is a much much smaller knot overall. The lack of flex over the relatively long length where all the coils are stacked up on the FG causes more issues in the guides than does the slightly bigger diameter of the Alberto (and to be fair, those issues are extremely minimal).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    For those who prefer the Alberto knot, this youtube video includes a slight modification to technique and finish that helps ensure consistently smooth wraps and short tag ends for a clean transition to leader.
    You can skip to the start (about 4:30 min) and the tying aspect is over by about 10:00. You can speed up along the way and see the key stuff in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    I have been using the Uni to Uni on everything from bass to tuna and I have zero issues with knot failure and it can be tied in seconds. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Uni to Uni.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but here it's the reason why the FG is for me. I've used the Double Uni, the Alberto, and now the FG Knot. The main difference for me aside from it having never slipped or broke on me in a fishing situation is it’s castability. Most everything I’ve read about the FG is that it’s the thinnest diameter and least restrictive knot to date. It's the only joining knot I've ever been able to use problem free with Casting Gear. Comes through the guys like butter.

I may tie these knots later and take a close up photo of them to illustrate to comparative difference. But it’s easily noticeable to the naked eye.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but here it's the reason why the FG is for me. I've used the Double Uni, the Alberto, and now the FG Knot. The main difference for me aside from it having never slipped or broke on me in a fishing situation is it’s castability. Most everything I’ve read about the FG is that it’s the thinnest diameter and least restrictive knot to date. It's the only joining knot I've ever been able to use problem free with Casting Gear. Comes through the guys like butter.

I may tie these knots later and take a close up photo of them to illustrate to comparative difference. But it’s easily noticeable to the naked eye.
    This is exactly why I started this post. Castability. After taking a break from fishing for almost 20 yrs! I’m just getting use to all this new stuff. Line and leaders for one. And I really like braid but also have already found that in this clear water a leader is required more than knot ( pun). And with these small guides on my bait casters I can’t stand to hear a uni going though the guides. And not liking the feel of 17# floral spooled all the way up. I’m trying both FG and Alberto on 4 or 5 rods as we speak.
    ‘The videos posted above have been a great help and I have found the FG easier and easier to tie well. Still working on my finish as I seem uncoordinated. But it’s getting better. Going to fish a few weeks before I’ll know what I like better. But the FG is getting better and better.
    Thanks for all the post. seems to be a good topic.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

19. Member
    Just another opinion. Check out the knot that Shaw Grigsby shows on tube for braid to fluro. Really thin knot and no failures yet. Easy to tie.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blll View Post
    Just another opinion. Check out the knot that Shaw Grigsby shows on tube for braid to fluro. Really thin knot and no failures yet. Easy to tie.
    Use that a lot bill! Great knot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast