Understanding how to read maps

Hello I'm hoping you can help me break down the early spring seasonal patterns for this lake. It's in Madison County Iowa lake is called badger creek lake I wish I knew how to link you to send you to the maps faster but I don't sorry.

2. Member
    Never been there but looking at the Navionics Web App I'd start around the steeper banks, points, and jetties on the lower half of the lake. I'd start with jerkbaits, jigs, and wiggle warts if the water is clear and in the low 40s and higher. Looks like the upper 1/3 of the lake is pretty shallow. Also looks like it's not an extremely deep lake, tops out at 18' or so. Is the water open there yet?

I'm not too proud to just look on Google Earth to get the basics of a lake from satellite pictures. Sometimes, the pictures were taken on a windy day, and that's what we're stuck with, but often you can spot saddles, humps, flats, points and all sorts of interesting stuff. I looked up your lake, and spotted the dam, boat launch and those odd looking artificial points that look like private parts...

4. Member