What Prop for '95 19' Bass Cat Pantera II w/200HP Mercury

I don't know what the specs are for the current prop. Just bought the boat and it's not local yet. Only thing I know about the current prop is that it is steel and has 5 blades.

Reason I'm considering replacing is that I've been advised by a few folks on the river to go with an aluminum prop due to shallow river water, They say aluminum will be more forgiving and reduce the risk of damaging lower unit. Any opinions...experience?

Also while looking around BBC, I notice that when people discuss props they never speak of diameter, only pitch and blade count. Why is that? If someone says get a 25 Fury, is that really all I need to know? No other specs to worry about when purchasing?

I know absolutely nothing about props...clearly.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Either one could damage a lower unit it just depends on how and what you hit. Personally I wouldn't run an aluminum prop on that boat and motor because it flexes too much. Look on the props 4 sale board and find a good 25 tempest for your boat.

Your prop you have is a real good prop- High 5 mercury -probably a 23 pitch x 14” diameter— it is awesome for hole shot! And for cruising at lower speeds - you probably lose a couple Mph top end- what rpm at WOT are at?
    Pete Anthony

4. Member
    Get a 25" tempest for your motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaman154 View Post
    Your prop you have is a real good prop- High 5 mercury -probably a 23 pitch x 14” diameter— it is awesome for hole shot! And for cruising at lower speeds - you probably lose a couple Mph top end- what rpm at WOT are at?
    With a 200 on that hull and a 23 high five..
    You will lose more like 12 to 15 mph. High five on a P2 is a bad choice. No lift. None...On my P2 w A 150 Merc, 23 high five was 12 mph slower than tempest. On a 200....no way Id use one. With that said....if Boger was still doing props...a Bogerized 25 high five would be worth trying.

I ran a 25 Tempest and 25 TRO4 on my 94 P2. Holeshot is horrible with either w A load. P2s generally are slooooow out of the hole.

I'd borrow a 24 Fury 3 and see how it does.

6. Member
    I had a 24 Fury on mine, would go 65mph....maybe a bit more, I forget now.

Tried a beat up 25m.....it was awesome out of the hole. Didn't seem to have the 'umph' at 60 mph though....a 27M was a little too much for top end, I also forget speed, but it had way better midrange and same holeshot as the 25m. Overall, I think a worked 25m would have been perfect. Those M props come out of the water nicely, and handle and turn good.

Tried a old 24 Bravo, blew it out at 64mph.....scary. LOL!

Here's vid of the 25M

Vid of 25 trophy plus...

DO NOTE that both vids early that season, my 200 merc was having low rpm issues, preventing it from having good power coming out of the hole.

In the end, I put three 1/4" PVS holes in my 24 Fury and that made a huge huge difference!! 24 fury for the win with the extra holes.
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M