Thread: Skipping combo

Skipping combo

Got the Johnny Morris 2.0 carbonlite reel 8.3 ratio, and the 2.0 rod combo 7'0" medium heavy since they were on sale. Wondered if this would be ok for skipping? I see some vids and never here of the type rod action. I know there are alot better options but was hoping this one would be ok?

2. Banned
    I like a 6'10"-7'0" rod and a reel with dual braking so it would be just about perfect for me. I think you will be happy with it for skipping.

I'm 6'1". My setup is a 6'9" MH fast action ALX rod. I use a 8.1 Diawa Tatula type R reel.

Well thanks fellas, maybe I should have grabbed the 6'6" medium....looks like this one will work and atleast give me some practice

5. Member
    Having a good set up helps but it's more learning the technique I think than anything. I have a Denali Kovert LT 7ft 2 heavy jig rod with the tatula CT sv and when my technique is on point, it skips like a dream but if I'm rusty from not doing for a while it will backlash some. Not much from how that sv spool slows down so well but still. I think learning the proper way to skip as far as body positioning practicing will help more than anything.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    Well thanks fellas, maybe I should have grabbed the 6'6" medium....looks like this one will work and atleast give me some practice
    Brent.. your rod choice should be reflective of your physical height.. I'm 5'9 and had to go down to a 6'6 rod in order to be able to make consistent underhand roll cast without my rod or bait hitting the water.. If you're taller than I would look at longer rod.. Fitzgerald makes a 6'9 skipping special in the Brian Thrift series that's a really nice rod.. Next best thing you can do is find yourself a Daiwa Tatula TW SV.. braking system on that reel almost totally eliminates backlash problems..

Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    Brent.. your rod choice should be reflective of your physical height.. I'm 5'9 and had to go down to a 6'6 rod in order to be able to make consistent underhand roll cast without my rod or bait hitting the water.. If you're taller than I would look at longer rod.. Fitzgerald makes a 6'9 skipping special in the Brian Thrift series that's a really nice rod.. Next best thing you can do is find yourself a Daiwa Tatula TW SV.. braking system on that reel almost totally eliminates backlash problems..
    Like I said earlier in the post I'm 6'1" and have long arms. I use a 6'9"rod for skipping and honestly I could use a couple inches shorter rod. I purchased a Tatula SV TW reel this week and have only practiced skipping off my dock with it and I agree buy this reel for skipping.

Thanks again guys, maybe I will just talk to my father in law and tell him I need a tatula then.

9. Member
    Some very good buys on the Tatula TW SV's on Ebay..

10. Member
    Glx 803 with tatula sv tw.

Also Andy montgomery has a signature series diawa rod for skipping. Comes in 2 lengths for shorter/taller people.