Thread: trailer tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

trailer tires

I had always heard BassCat recommended passenger tires. The dealer that sold me the boat had trailer tires on it, Triangle Tires, which are some Chinese made tire that are pretty inexpensive. Honestly, I've been pretty happy with them. In two years and 20,000 miles they do not look worn at all. One of the tires had a small bulge on it from day one (figured because it was a showroom boat that sat still for over a year). well that bulge finally blew out, well the threads came apart.

Anyone have experience with Triangle Tires? I used to always use Goodyear, but until these current tires wear down I don't see a need to replace.

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    My first two Cats had Goodyear Marathon trailer tires on them. The last two have had passenger car tires. I got good wear out of all of them. Never heard of triangle tires.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Good news is you have some choices. Me personally - I really don't care for 90+% of ST tires. Both the standards and quality control of manufacturing suck. Goodyear Marathons became worthless when they quit producing in the US. Goodyear is now making the Endurance tire in the US which is a ST tire that also has a reasonable speed rating. The reviews and early reports for the tires are quite good - but, they've only been out less than a year. I personally run Maxxis UE-168 tires on mine. They're LT tires, 99mph speed rating, and according to my tire store guy - the most overbuilt tires he's ever put on a boat trailer. The per tire weight rating is well over the top as well. They're designed to high center of gravity commercial panel trucks and have amazingly thick and strong sidewalls. The Maxxis tires are built in South Korea and have great quality control. They tow and track like a dream. I'm about to pull 2 perfectly good looking tires off my trailer and replace with the same just because they're 5 years old.

What you will find is that cheap and good aren't both qualities you'll find at the same time on a trailer tire. Go cheap and you'll pay the difference in blowouts and time on the side of the road at 5am while you're missing the launch at the tournament you were driving to. I'll "over pay" and use that as a guarantee I won't be broken down. You wouldn't put a sub $100 tire on your truck - don't put one on the boat either. The Maxxis UE-168 is around $135 per tire installed and balanced.

4. Member
    yea normally i stay clear of cheap tires and things made in china. But shocked how little wear is on these Triangle tires.

interesting views on ST vs. LT tires, thanks!

5. Member
    Just FYI. But a lot of tires are made in China now. Cooper for example.
    half of there plants are in China now.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

6. Member
    good to know

7. Banned
    Carlisle 5 ply trailer tires and never have to worry.

I got tired of Coopers blowing. I switched to Maxxis and never had a problem.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Anyone know the stock size for a Panthers classic? I have 205/75/r15 now. Just checking that's right. I got the stalker rims and the tires I had mounted seem too narrow.

10. Member
    +1 on the Maxxis UE-168 tires as well.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Maxxis for trailer tires. So far the Generals that came form BCB have been good.

12. Member
    I have a 2013 Eyra that came with Mastercraft tires. No problems with the Mastercraft tires. Decided to replace due to age only, not tire wear. I went with what Bass Cat is putting (or was - I assume they are still putting them on) on their trailers now - General Tires Ultimax. So far I like how they ride. Time will tell.

Robert
    BassCatSC

13. Member
    i have mastercraft on my truck, seem to holding up well.

14. Smallmouth Junkie!
    This is what I just put on my trailer. D load rated and speed rated to 87 MPH.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...&cta=undefined
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 03-03-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

15. Member
    I also just changed over to the Goodyear endurance tires. Heard good things about them. We see

16. Member
    I went out and got the maxxis. They awesome and are way beefier than my old pos tires. They look really good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sacrtrain; 03-16-2018 at 11:24 AM.

17. Member
    I also just installed Endurance tire. Took off my one year old Carlisles because they vibrated terribly and had flat spots on them. Crappy tire.

18. Member
    This is what happened to one of my Carlisle tires. It looked like what a recap would do. Took out a glass fender and lights. Tires weren't 3 years old.
    Went to Endurance and what a difference.

Tows great at freeway speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimsch; 03-10-2018 at 12:15 PM.

19. Member
    Bought some Goodyear endurance to,replace my 8 year old marathons. The tow like a dream.

Goodyear endurance for me as well love them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast