Thread: Best rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Best rod

What is your favorite rod? The one you would rather have in your hands out of all your other rods.
    how do you fish with it? Why is it your favorite?
    For that matter combo what reel is on it. Why is it your favorite?

For me, I have a bunch of new stuff and just started back fishing. And for that matter really catching fish.
    but I have a St. Croix Ledgemd tournament 7’ 1” MH Xf that I just love. It has a lew’s custom speed spool 7.5 on it (I’m a lefty). And I find myself over looking other rods to fish it. Spinner bait, med crank bait, worm.
    I’m still not sure if the fact that I know it cost as much as it did effects this? It is at the top of my budget. But I like it.
    I can throw it forever and I have light 8# floral on it. Not sure why?
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

2. Member
    Dobyns 702sf with a ci4+
    Drop shot or any finesse technique.

Love the action of the rod!
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

3. Member
    I have 17-18 decently high end rod and reel setups (st Croix LTB and Dobyns Champion Extremes paired w/ curados & chronarchs).The rod I've picked up most in the last two years surprisingly is my 7'3" Ducket White Ice Tmmy Horton casting rod paired with a chronach. This rod is so versatile and lightweight but handles big fish quite well. I throw topwater walking baits/whoppers, jerkbaits (100 size and up), swimbaits with 3/8 and1/2oz heads, traps, squarebills, chatterbaits, and I have I have flipped a bit with it.

ALX Deputy . I can do about anything with this rod.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    Dobyns 702sf with a ci4+
    Drop shot or any finesse technique.

Love the action of the rod!
    Ditto Sparky!!

6. Member
    All of my kistler helium 3's. Light, sensitive, great balance, great action.

7. Member
    NRX 852c + Aldebaren. Whole setup weighs less than half a pound and it is CRAZY sensitive with light braid. Obviously not built for the heavy stuff but my finesse game is on fire right now.
    -Matt

8. Dogfish_Jones
    I love my Daiwa rods.
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 03-02-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Falcon Cara FC-6-1610 "Head Turner" with a Shimano Scorpion 1000. This was the first "high-end" rod and reel I bought over ten years ago, and it's still my favorite. Probably familiarity
    I have a fair amount of G. Loomis now, St. Croix, even a Megabass Black Jungle now. Even had a few NRX's at one time.

That Falcon is just an old, familiar friend that never leaves the boat. Or my hands some days.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    ALX Deputy . I can do about anything with this rod.
    I like my ALX Dragger for jigs, really nice rod.

I've been wanting to get a Deputy to try out as well
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

11. Member
    My favorite rod is one I built on a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH rod blank. 7'2" fast action, medium heavy power, although with lure weight ratings of 3/8 - 1 oz it would be considered as heavy power in most factory rods. Split rear grip using EVA foam, Alps MVT reel seat, Fuji guides with polished SS frames and Alconite rings. The running guides are micro guides.

I have it paired with a Shimano SF Castaic reel, and 20# Tatsu fluorocarbon line. Very sensitive with a perfect action. It will flat out put fish in the boat.

I'm currently building a rod on an NFC MB709 IM rod blank that promises to be really sweet. 7' mod fast action, 3/8 - 2 oz, mag heavy power. I've got a full carbon fiber grip on it, Alps MVT reel seat, and the same guides as above, but with black frames.

I have it paired with another Shimano Castaic reel, and 20# Tatsu fluorocarbon line. I'll be using the rod for punching as well. When I do it will have 65# PP on a Shimano Castaic reel.

Love those Castaic reels !!!

12. Member
    all star classic 6-6 med heavy ---my spinnerbait rod ---have caught more fish with it than all other combined
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

13. Member
    I have 15-20 high end combos, Shimano Curado to Metaniums, and 1 Daiwa zillion, Dobyns, St. Croix, Shimano and Megabass rods. Out of all these combos I still reach for my 7'2 MHxf Cumara (gen 1) and Shimano Core 100mg with 12# sunline sniper. I throw mostly 1/2oz football jigs on it, but its a great tx rig rod too.

14. Member
    ALX Deputy

15. Member
    A lot of ALX deputy love out there��
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

16. Member
    ALX Toadface

All time favorite would have to be my old Falcon Lowrider (brown blank) 5-164 Spinnerbait Special. Most accurate casting rod I've ever had in my hands. I can sidearm a spinnerbait to a log or something and make it land with barely a splash. I recently put my new Dawia Tatula SV on it to try to learn to skip with it but I think the tip might be a little too stout for that technique. I'll probably go back to the Curado I that I've had on it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    ALX DEPUTY! Just broke mine with bed cover Bill Dance style and it feels like my world will end :(

19. Member
    BPS Carbonlite. Hell of a rod for less than $200. Not the best rod out there by any means, but they're pretty good for the price point. Can't afford the NRX, so I'll take my 3-4 Carbonlites at the same price

20. Member
    I have a Powell jerkbait rod that they don't make anymore. It's a 6'10 model and it's money. Will be devastated if it ever blows up. Can't remember the model, but it's a dark red to black blank.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast