97' cobrial viper 201D flotation material waterlogged?

Having a frustrating problem with being able to get decent speed out of my cobra..has a johnson 200 venom and I'm running an OMC shooter prop 13x25p...tried a 14x25p new prop and hole shot is better and lots more torque but only a little more speed topping out around 50mph, motor is strong and middle of prop is about 3" below the pad....someone suggested the flotation material might be waterlogged...how can I check this on a cobra? Whats a good location to check from?

What's your RPM?

3. Member
    I can hit 6000 rpms no problem with the old shooter prop..only 5200 rpms with the new prop..I only gained a slight amount of speed with the new prop

Hmmm, you should definitely be going faster than that. I can hit 65 no problem with my 201 and a merc 200. Its possible you've got waterlogged wood/foam, but idk if it could account for that much of a drop of speed. Maybe someone more experienced in that department could drop in, I know cobras can have a hard time getting bow lift.
    Colorado State University Bass Team

2000 Viper Cobra 201D, 200 merc efi

50mph at 6000 RPM is an insane amount of slip with 25p prop. Not sure what would cause that.

6. Member
    hmm..does anyone know a good spot to get to the flotation material to check it? on a cobra 201d

I would empty the boat, find out the weight of the motor and trailer, allow for battery weight, drain the gas and take it to a weigh station. Your hull should weigh 1,495 or so.

8. Member
    Yeah was thinking about doing that..i just need to find a weigh station around here

9. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Cobra 201D weighs @1440 pounds.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

10. Member
    thank you!

11. Member
    Did something today I should have done a long time ago... took the boat out,warmed it up and went back to the boat ramp. Pulled her out and did a compression check on the motor. The readings were 72,70,62,75,80 and 75...wow, didn't expect those low of readings. It runs really smooth cruising at 5800 rpms, it doesn't get hot, good water pressure..just can't get it over 52 mph no matter what I try...are these readings enough to keep me from getting decent speed? It's a 96' johnson 200 venom. Any thoughts?