2014 TZX195. Need to get power to my Helix 10 at the bow

I am wondering how to get enough power to my Helix. I connected the power to a power wire that was already up in the bow that I ran my Lowrance HDS5 into. My Helix goes white after 5 minutes of use. Any help on where to hook the power of the Helix too. I

2. Member
    Well the obvious route and what everyone else here will tell you is to run dedicated power and ground wires straight back to the cranking battery.

3. Member
    I second that. Its a pain but I did it in ZX190

OK. I was afraid of that

5. Member
    Yep all the way back to to the batt with 10ga wire.

6. Member
    On my 2012 TZX 190 I had two 798s a Helix 9 and 10 wired into the existing power and never had an issue. Make sure your connection is clean.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    On my 2012 TZX 190 I had two 798s a Helix 9 and 10 wired into the existing power and never had an issue. Make sure your connection is clean.
    I have a 2015 ZX 250 that I have 3 HDS 9's wired to factory wiring with no problem either. But I know what most will tell him to do on here.

I installed a new battery, now it will stay on longer, but it will flash to white and back a few times. then just go white after 15 minutes or so.

Your power source isn't clean or just isn't strong enough...you really need to run wires direct from your battery with an inline fuse. I actually had the room so I added a 4th battery, a smaller group 24 starting battery and it's dedicated to my electronics. Really doesn't add that much weight and I have zero issues with my graphs. Plus I always know my cranking battery will be good at the end of the day! Also, make sure you go to a larger gauge wire for these units too.

There are lots of resources in the Humminbird section on here as well as YouTube. But really running new wire direct to your battery will solve your problems...and it's a fairly simple thing to do.

Good luck!

Rob
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

thanks, the guys over on the Humminbird section got me squared away. Hard part now is fishing the wires.

11. Member
    This post is pretty old but my question applies to the discussion. I currently have two Helix 7 units, a network controller and GPS heading sensor all tied into a fuse block. I'm adding a third Helix 7 unit. Is it ok to add the Helix 7 unit into the fuse block or should all of these 5 devices be wired directly back to the battery? If they should all go to the battery, what is the best way to manage so many individual wires going to the battery. The battery already has the pumps, charger, etc. hooked to it. Seems like way too many wires hooked directly to the battery.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezm001 View Post
    This post is pretty old but my question applies to the discussion. I currently have two Helix 7 units, a network controller and GPS heading sensor all tied into a fuse block. I'm adding a third Helix 7 unit. Is it ok to add the Helix 7 unit into the fuse block or should all of these 5 devices be wired directly back to the battery? If they should all go to the battery, what is the best way to manage so many individual wires going to the battery. The battery already has the pumps, charger, etc. hooked to it. Seems like way too many wires hooked directly to the battery.
    All the units will end up connecting to the battery one way or the other. You don’t want the network box connected directly to the battery unless there is a switch otherwise it will always be on and drawing power. Same with the Ultrex puck. So either run the new unit direct to the battery or the block your choice.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

13. Member
    Thanks for the input, appreciate it very much. I keep hearing about having to worry about interference but you stated it well, they are all going back to the battery one way or another.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezm001 View Post
    Thanks for the input, appreciate it very much. I keep hearing about having to worry about interference but you stated it well, they are all going back to the battery one way or another.
    Well, I meant that whether you have the units first connecting to a fuse block and then from that fuse block to the battery. However, Humminbird recommends connecting each unit on it's own circuit to the battery. On my boat there is a block in the bilge that is somehow connected to the main power switch and that switch is connected to the battery. I didn't do this so it was either the dealer of Skeeter. I have two graphs connected to that block and the third is wired directly to the battery. My M360 and Ethernet box are connected to auxiliary wires so that when I turn on or off the main power at the console those units are off or on. I don't get any interference from two of the graphs but I do get interference from my 360 graph which is directly connected to the battery. So it's a mystery on how interference ever happens. The main thing is to keep the power and transducer wires clear of the trolling motor power wire.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA