Thread: Gander Outdoors

idbefishing

Gander Outdoors

Anybody been there yet? The one in Castleton is in the same building where Gander Mtn. was. I read up on it and apparently Camping World seemed to just re-brand the place. I wonder if it's still crappy.

2. Member
    I checked them out one day on my lunch break. They hadn’t had their grand opening yet and were setting things up still. They had a lot of bikes and coolers for sale. The fishing and gun departments were basically the same as GM. They try to get you to buy a membership like sams club, get 10% off everything if your a member. It’s worth checking out, but I won’t go back.

3. Banned
    As above, similar to Gander for amount of fishing tackle.

I did look at the Live Target Swimbaits and they were priced exactly the same as Tackle Warehouse, so someone did their research on those at least.

4. Fishing is a Passion
    Had a visit to the new store in my area today. Grand is Saturday. I will wish this new company a lot of luck. Most items in the fishing department were 30% over most Mom and Pop stores in my area. Pretty sad. Thought you would learn from the prior owners.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

5. Member
    I was impressed with their marine section as it is quite extensive. There is a TON of marine inventory there. They are also selling more brands than GM sold. Biospawn, Dirty jigs, Megastrike, river2sea, ect...

6. Member

Quote Originally Posted by BassF3arMe View Post
    I was impressed with their marine section as it is quite extensive. There is a TON of marine inventory there. They are also selling more brands than GM sold. Biospawn, Dirty jigs, Megastrike, river2sea, ect...
    Although my local Gander Outdoors has been open for a while I decided to stop in today and check it out. I was also very impressed with what they have for the selection and the prices. Unfortunately it's the end of the year for open water fishing and I really don't need anything, but I will definitely going back.

The pricing structure is a little wonky. I bought some propane grill bottles while I looked around. At the check out the kid tried to sell me on some kind of cash back scheme. It might work for some but I'm try to stop buying stuff so I don't need an incentive to spend money

I am obliging the CEO of Camping World/Gander Outdoors...Marcus Lemonis. I am not shopping at his businesses.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Lemonis is a tool. His “Reality show” is a self serving tool to make himself look good.
    I guess that’s what reality tv is about. Make people look better or worse than they are.
    Last edited by DeGraaf; 10-13-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I am obliging the CEO of Camping World/Gander Outdoors...Marcus Lemonis. I am not shopping at his businesses.
    Ditto..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Me too I would not buy sh*t from him. I will buy a new motor home one day and it won't be from Camping World either. Screw him!!!!

13. Banned
    Our Gander Mountain store closed and later reopened as a Gander Outdoors. They don't have half the merchandise of the previous store. But with a Dick's doubling the size of their store and renaming it Field and Stream and an Academy Sports (both within 1/2 mile), Gander Outdoors didn't stand a chance of success.

Our Gander Outdoors closed last month--after a few months of no customers.

Marcus Lemonis runs businesses that are slam and jam operations. Don't meet your hefty objectives, and employees' heads are rolled. C/W purchased a bunch of really good RV dealerships and great employees have left in mass. Some RV manufacturers absolutely refuse to do business with Camping World and have cancelled their franchises with them.

Our Gander Outdoors ha a warehouse feel to it instead of a store like the older Gander. When I drive by don't ever see many cars there so not sure the future of it.

15. Banned
    I think the deal is that they were wanting to use the Gander Outdoors to get their foot into a retail market, and then move recreational vehicles into the stores on a limited basis under the name Camping World. That might be stepping on other RV dealer's toes who have worked hard to establish their brands and business--only to have C/W come in with mini-dealerships.

When Camping World purchased the assets of old, established RV dealers, they were paying ridiculous prices to the previous owners. That's not exactly a plan for success. The whole operation is being funded by pension funds paying into hedge funds.