thru hull transducer

i have a 00 19' 3" intimidator and im wanting to install a thru the hull transducer. where is the best place to install it and get the best results? my guess was to put a hole in the plastic liner tray in the back and install to fiberglass that way so its always getting good contact.

2. Member
    Go to the back of the bilge area in lowest place you can find in the fiberglass liner. Then grind...do not drill....a hole about a 1/4 inch larger than your transducer until you grind through the liner and into the soft putty filler between liner and hull. Grind through the soft putty, but not far into the fiberglass of the hull. Mix up a 2 part epoxy and fill the hole almost full. Push your transducer into the epoxy, working it down to the bottom. Make sure the epoxy seals around the transducer making the hole waterproof. Let it setup for about 24 hours and your done. Don't use bondo in place of the epoxy, it is much more porous and does not read through as well.

Are you sure there are not 2 holes side by side underneath the battery tray that were pre-drilled by the factory.
    '00 Gambler Outlaw / \'02 200 EFI

4. Member
    If I remember correctly they had a post a year or 2 ago that said there's a factory hole under the middle seat. My 2001 Intimidator has the factory installed transducer but it's only good to around 45 to 50 mph. after that I lose the reading.

My 00 Intimidator has two factory holes under the battery tray. I can read to 60 if I keep it trimmed down on smooth water.

Be sure and completely fill the hole once the transducer is installed to prevent any water seepage between the hulls.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    Ok, thanks for the info guys. ive had my battery tray off before. I replaced both bilge pumps and my lowrance flasher was installed right beside them. it no longer works.

7. Member
    Ok, where the 2 factory holes are under the battery tray I grinded out one of the holes big enough for my new transducer, had a buddy hold down in that hole while idling and will jump from 1000 feet to 2 feet constantly. Idk what to do. It's for a humminbird helix 7 and I've got a y cable installed bc I also have a transom unit. I tried unhooking the y cable and hooking the 2D thru the hull transducer straight to the unit and was doing same thing. Anyone have experience with these?

Try a known good transducer, or a new transducer.

Make sure that you ground the hole all the way down. You'll know when you are there....you can see the woven roving.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Installing a thru hull on my boat sounds like a great idea until I actually went to start doing it. I'll just run around with a 0.0 instead
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"