60 HP Mercury not shifting

Need some help I have a 1992 Mercury 60 hp. when I changed my water pump I must have damaged my shifting cam? It turns 180 degrees but will not shift out of forward. Is it a hard fix or doable in the garage. Changed water pumps many times not sure what I did. Thx JimC

2. Member
    with gearcase off can you not turn shaft counter clockwise until it clicks 1 time should be N,may need propshaft remove,does it have 2 studs with nuts retaining carrier ???? could be done in garage
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Sorry for the late response it got winter time again.Pulled the prop today it has a bolt on the top and bottom? Could send a pic. The small shift gear? on the top of the bottom unit rotates about 180 degrees. Not sure what I did when I changed the water pump but something is wrong. I know it is supposed to click 3 time F N R all in about 45 degrees.

4. Member
    carrier will come out by removeing nuts along with prop shaft,look at shift cam groove see if chip broke off letting follower slip off cam
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................