Any reason to avoid a flex fuel truck

I'm looking at a couple of new GMC Sierras. 2018s with the same equipment and price except one is E85 and the other is not. I'm not looking for E85 so I don't care about that but is there any reason to avoid a truck with that capability?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

No, they operate pretty much the same. Although I wouldn't recommend running E85, at least you'd have that option in an emergency, I guess.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    I think they are almost all Flex fuel now......but I never run E85 in my 6.2L superduty......I guess I just don't trust it...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Banned
    I've seen "Flex fuel" emblems on GM vehicles for 10-15 years; I don't know of any downside.

5. Member
    No problem with Flex Fuel. GM’s AFM, however, is a completely different story. Active Fuel Management where the engine drops cylinders depending on load put on it. Google it to find out issues with it. Have it on my 2007 Yukon.

6. Banned
    No problem with AFM on 2014 +.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No reason to avoid flex fuel vehicles, but plenty of reasons to avoid E85.

We are forced to use it at work. When we drive to a remote site 50 miles away, we can’t go two days without filling the tank on an F150 V6. Range on E85 is less than 200 miles. When something happens and the truck gets filled with real gas, we can go three days with no concern. I honestly don’t see how this scam is legal.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by avmech View Post
    No problem with Flex Fuel. GM’s AFM, however, is a completely different story. Active Fuel Management where the engine drops cylinders depending on load put on it. Google it to find out issues with it. Have it on my 2007 Yukon.
    I'm familiar with the AFM as I also have a 2008 Sierra. Supposedly, it is better with the new trucks but it will probably take +50k miles before I found out.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm familiar with the AFM as I also have a 2008 Sierra. Supposedly, it is better with the new trucks but it will probably take +50k miles before I found out.
    Just clicked over 83K on my ‘14 Silverado with AFM. No issues yet...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

E85 is BS, doesnt have near the energy density of regular gas. fill up your tank a few times with E85 and track your mileage per cost per gallon of E85. It is significantly more $$$ per mile than regular gas. It is a total scam and E85 is subsidized by the government to keep the cost down.

The flex fuel capability has no effect on your mpg when burning regular gas. BTW, my AFM on my Sierra Denali with the 6.2L is smooth as butta...I like it significantly better than the Ecoboost I had on my FX4 (better gas mileage too).
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

180K on my 2010 Silverado Z-71, 5.3 with Flex Fuel and AFM. Never a problem with anything. Motor runs as smooth today as it did eight years ago. AFM performs flawlessly...I can't even detect the changeover.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.