Wanting to become a better jerkbait fisherman

Hey all,
    I’ve fished jerkbaits in the past with little success. I fish mostly lakes from central Ky to Ky lake. Anybody have any tips, I have mostly Mcsticks and Strike King. I normally add enough weight to the front hook to make them suspended in cold water. How deep of cover do you normally fish a jerkbait that only dives five feet deep. Just looking to become a little more versatile.

2. Member
    With a jerkbait it's more about the stop than the movement. With everybody and their brother jerking them, I've had better luck with pulls than jerks.
    White/pearl in low light and muddy water or cloudy conditions, translucent colors in clear water with sun. And while many throw at targets or the bank, sometimes they are at their best right down the middle of the pockets, where many times the larger bass suspend.

3. Member
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Megabass vision 110. John mentioned some very good things , try out the vision and your confidence will soar through the roof when you start catching them one after another .

Watch some videos where KVD talks about how he fishes them. It seems simple, but that helped me with my jerkbait fishing more than anything else. Specifically pay attention to slack in the line - when you watch those pros working a jerkbait it looks like they're absolutely ripping it. Most of that motion is taking up slack in the line. Just like a walking top water bait, the twitch or jerk on a slack line will make that jerkbait "walk" (i.e. kick to the side) underwater. Experiment with cadence and length of pause. Sometimes going to 3 jerks followed by a 3 second pause can make a big difference over 2 jerks with a 2 second pause. Keep experimenting until you start getting bites, and be sure to remember what you did that got you the bite.

Past that, I think it's all about getting some confidence going. If you come across a day where it seems like they'll hit anything, break out the jerkbait and catch a bunch on it. Like anything, confidence plays a huge role in how much success you'll have.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    The great thing about a jerkbait is their ability to call fish to them from long distances. I can fish a jerkbait over 30ft water and catch fish that are suspended in 15-18ft of water. The key to that though is to have some clear/clearer water. You don't want muddy water. If you can find grass that's growing only a couple of feet, you can hammer them on a jerkbait ripped over it. Jerkbaits excel over riprap as well, any rock for that matter. Sometimes just throwing a jerkbait in open water will clue you in on more fish. One thing is for sure, their versatility is not limited. If I had to pick the perfect scenario for using a jerkbait, It'd be suspended fish in 12-15ft of water.

If you think your ripping it to hard rip it harder! Rod tip pointed toward the water with slack In the line. 6’6 to 6’10 medium action rod. Slow down in water colder than 50, but I don’t pause it near as long as some suggest. They catch tons of fish all year long, goodluck

7. Member
    Appreciate it guys! Now I got wait on all this flood water to leave.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Watch some videos where KVD talks about how he fishes them. It seems simple, but that helped me with my jerkbait fishing more than anything else. Specifically pay attention to slack in the line - when you watch those pros working a jerkbait it looks like they're absolutely ripping it. Most of that motion is taking up slack in the line. Just like a walking top water bait, the twitch or jerk on a slack line will make that jerkbait "walk" (i.e. kick to the side) underwater. Experiment with cadence and length of pause. Sometimes going to 3 jerks followed by a 3 second pause can make a big difference over 2 jerks with a 2 second pause. Keep experimenting until you start getting bites, and be sure to remember what you did that got you the bite.

Past that, I think it's all about getting some confidence going. If you come across a day where it seems like they'll hit anything, break out the jerkbait and catch a bunch on it. Like anything, confidence plays a huge role in how much success you'll have.
    Good advice here

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
    Appreciate it guys! Now I got wait on all this flood water to leave.
    No, you don't. Do not believe all the writing about jerkbaits not being good muddy water baits. Throw white or pearl in those conditions. Jerkbaits are some of the noisiest baits out there, with the balance system weights making a ton of noise every jerk. . The fish will find them.

10. Member
    Wanna get good with em, leave everything else at the house.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro