2008 Stratos 285xk trailer brake and oil bath hub issue

I have a 2008 stratos 285xl trailer with disc brakes. Over the winter I noticed oil coming from the hubs (oil bath hubs). I tried to disassemble everything to get to the hubs today but I can't get the bottom bolt out that holds the brake caliper. I've let it soak with PB blaster but no go. I can't get a socket in there or a torque wrench because it's too tight of a fit. Too tight for a breaker bar either. I'm going to see if I can get a 1/2" elbow adapter tomorrow to see if I access it with a torque wrench but I'm not optimistic at this point. Any other ideas?

Another question. Are the oil bath hubs worth the headache or should I go to a grease style hubs. I'm not too familiar with this type of hubs.

2008 Stratos 285XL/2008 Evinrude 150 H.O.

“A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” -George Washington

thin wall socket, or take a cheap socket and grind 360 around the bottom part to make thin to fit. but watch how much grind off and don't make it get hot. that may work or socket may crack, I've had that happen few times in past. but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'm going to go Harbor Freight tomorrow to look for the elbow adapter and a shorty thin wall socket. I'm going to be sol if that doesn't work.

“A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” -George Washington

4. Member
    I went to service my hubs after I bought my boat, the bolts were seized on mine too. I ended up replacing them all with grease hubs (ufp db-35). I prefer grease over oil though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awmcdonald View Post
    I went to service my hubs after I bought my boat, the bolts were seized on mine too. I ended up replacing them all with grease hubs (ufp db-35). I prefer grease over oil though.
    I did the same thing. The oil bath was a mess to clean up.

You can convert those hubs to grease. Anyway you can get a picture of the bolt and area that won't break loose?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Sorry, I haven't been back on here recently and I didn't have any notifications that there was any replies. I was able to get the bolt out. I am having a hard time finding parts for the Ranger cool hub system though. I haven't called Ranger because I'm betting they are a little high compared to other places. The spindle size is front 1 1/16" and 1 3/8' rear. I can find replacement kits that are regular grease hub/rotor kit but not in the cool hub system. My hub and brake rotor are one piece. The spindle and bearings look to be in good shape. I'm debating swapping out rotor/hubs and calipers due to age. There is quite a bit of rust on the rotor face and a lot of oil/grease build up inside the caliper and on the rotor as well.