Tools for Boat Seat Recovering

Greetings,

I own a Ranger 185VS that has issues with the thread stitching on some of the seating surfaces. The Vinyl is in good shape but the thread has deteriorated. I have used a curved upholstery needle with nylon thread and re-sewn some of the locations where the thread has croaked but it continues to look unsightly and I would like to replace the skins. I have called Ranger and they have these skins available for replacement which I think would be the most professional way to proceed. I have had the seats out of the boat but my question is twofold.

1). Where can stainless staples be obtained that will yield the same life as the ones originally used?

2). What type of staple gun would be suitable to shoot these. I have the manual spring loaded guns but I think these would not seat them properly.

Also, any other tips and tricks that those of you that may have done this work before that could be shared is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all input.

David G

The staples either stainless or Monel, Monel may actually last longer than stainless, can be found at most any hardware store, Lowes, Ace, maybe even Wal-Mart.

The hand stapler will work just fine, but you will wish you had forearms like Popeye, There is an electric one that works well, it still may not drive them all the way down, just take and finish them with a hammer. If you just have to have a new toy and have an air compressor the air staplers are great, but you will need to adjust the pressure so that it doesn't blow the staple thru the vinyl.

Have a hair dryer on hand so that if you need to you can warm the vinyl to make it easier to stretch.

I used 20# test , to sew seat. and if has piping that's a Royal PIA lolo. I redone mine 4 yrs ago on a Boat I eventually Sold a month later.i didnt plan on that, but guy seen me & Boat at lake over the years and walked up, walked around and made a Offer. So I didn't drag the Boat home . But I still have my 1st Bass Boat .. Its Old like the Owner , but there when feel like fishing lolo.

4. Member
    If you use 1/2” SS staples the hand stapler will drive most of them. That is what I used on my seats. Get an old flat blade screw driver and cut a hacksaw blade notch about 1/4” deep into the end of the blade. Use this to remove the old staples,and there will be a million of them. I didn’t use near as many staples as Ranger did and my skins are still on five yrs later.