2003 coral viper with 225 opti

I read the other thread on what this boat is like butq still not sure of thoughts.

I'll be going from a ranger 518 to possibly a this and looking more for a fosh n ski for grandkids, family etc but one I can do tourneys too.

Thoughts please on both needs for this model?

Thanks...

Paul

2. Member
    As far as fish & ski boat designs go, the Coral is more fishing oriented than passenger space oriented. Its large decks reduce the passenger area somewhat. As a ski boat, it performs very well, good holeshot and no prop ventilation with a four blade prop. As with any boat, a ski pylon is a must for pulling multiple skiers and wake boarders. The ski pylon should not be used for more than a single passenger tube. A tow yoke hooked to the transom eyes should be used for multiple passenger tubes. For fishing tournaments, the Coral or Champion 21SX are the best.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply. I rolled my Ranger last summer and thinking the f/s may be a good change and consider the family needs too. Are the 202 a good compromise IYO.

I fish a lot on Lake Ontario so also interested in how well these perform on big or in rough water.
    Cheers

This will be the 8th season that we've owned our coral and it's hard to imagine a better boat for our family. I fish small local tournaments out of it fairly often and we spend at least 15 days a summer tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding. As with any multipurpose boat, there are compromises of course. There are times I wished the passenger area was larger, sure, but I feel like anything I've seen with more seating area seriously hinders the fish-ability of the boat. As for rough water, I've not been on anything like Ontario, but have had the boat in 3-4ers and it does fine with the caveat that you know how to drive a boat in rough water. You will feel the rough water a little more than in some other boats because the driver seat is further forward, but if I feel like it's beating me up, it's usually because of how I'm driving it.

5. Member
    Awesome reply. Thank you.

Lake Ontario beats anyone up at times but hoping this will work for pre-fishing and tourneys on back lakes.

I think the speed is still there with the Coral 202 so hopefully not miss that from my other bass boats.

I'm a new grandfather and a bit gun shy from accident in Ranger so hoping this will fit well go both reasons.

I've read it should do mid 60's mph. Is that about what you get?

Cheers

I have a 200 that is not propped as well as it could be. I can touch mid 50s when extremely light in the right conditions. Generally I'm running right around 50 but that is with a 6" plate and an aluminum prop. From my experience and what I've read of others mid.60s is a reasonable expectation for these boats running a 225 and set up properly.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I went to look at the boat. Loved the design but guy selling told me it was in amazing condition, no pressure cracks yada, yada...it was uncovered all winter, messy, gel coat oxidized, chunks out of glass and looked like it had been in an accident and fixed up.

He said he didn't notice these things...Riigghhhtt!

It was an 8hr drive that was all for not.

Oh well...BPS is always a nice stop along the way.

Cheers

That's a bummer. You might reach out to Deuces on here. He made a post in the fish and ski forum that his Coral would be up for sale soon.